I have just noticed details of the example you gave.  You might be in luck!
Most of us have suffered from the problem at one time or another so you are NOT
alone! :)

Please email me the spreadsheet before going any further in case it goes
horribly wrong.  Or at least take a back-up.  Just back-up by making a copy
under a different name.  I generally add the date in reverse date-order so that
customers.xls
is backed-up as
customers-2011-04-15.xls
I try to copy one of these to a different machine every few months or sooner if
i update it a lot.

When sorting a spreadsheet you have to be careful because the columns are
independant of each other, unlike in a database.  So, see the row numbers at the
far left?  Click on one of those and it selects the whole row.  Then scroll all
the way down to the bottom of the spreadsheet and press the shift key while
clicking the row at the bottom.  Now all the rows should all be selected.  If
all the rows are wholly selected then sorting will keep all the information on
each row together.  another way of selecting all the rows in the entire
spreadsheet is to press the Ctrl key and A (Ctrl A) or to click the little
square at the top (ish) left, just above the row numbers and to the left of the
column letters.  The disadvantage is that there are probably a LOT of blank
rows.

If you want to try using a datbase then you can use the spreadsheet as it's
data-source ;) so you have already created the table.  I would NOT do that until
after getting the rows right again!
Good luck and regards from