We were really talking about macros that run inside the document rather than talking about writing
programs.

I think one really good way to learn Python right now is to join in with the devs in LibreOffice.
There are a list of "Easy hacks" and you can pick 1 or 2 and then write your code for it and ask
the devs for feedback.  I think there is even a chance of getting a named mentor to help guide you
(although i'm not sure if that idea is still going).  If you are new to programming or don't feel
confident then you could do a few of the "Easy hacks" until you worked out the preferred ways of
doing things.

Books and theoretical class-room exercises might be good and interesting but dealing with and
solving real-world problems is even better for most subjects imo.