As we keep pointing out Win7 and Windows generally is a bit of a resource hog.

1 more stick of 1Gb Ram would probably help.  Better to get 2 new sticks as a matched pair so that
you can get an additional 10% bump on performance.  Better still if you can get sticks that are
about as fast as your mbord can handle.  A decent power supply might help but don't go crazy with
it unless you plan to use it in a future hardware-upgrade.  350 Watt is usually plenty but you
might find something that is more energy efficient and doesn't draw so much mains power if it's not
using much.  A new fan might help especially if you can re-arrange existing ones to push out more
at the back or through the top of the case.

Alternatively just install Ubuntu or Mageia or something like that as a dual-boot alongside your
Win7.  They use so much less resources that you will find the machine runs a lot more quietly, less
hot, much faster and quiet possibly drawing so much less power that your Usb ports become quiet
usable again.

The 'new' or acquired hardware route should cost under £100.  Trying a different OS is likely to be
free.

There are plenty of people on this list that could help you install one of the Gnu&Linux OSes
although i suspect that each person has their own idea of what might be best for you.  Generally i
would recommend taking various different ones for a test-drive before committing yourself to
installing one.  Generally it is better to do this using a Usb-stick but it can be done with a Cd
or Dvd drive.  Most Gnu&Linux "distros" allow you to run a "LiveCd session" to test drive their OS.
 When you have tried a few then you might notice you prefer the look&feel of some but others work
better with your hardware.  It doesn't really matter which one you install first as they all work
much the same as each other and it's fairly easy to move from one to another later on, after you
have become more accustomed to what your needs are.  Some people install a different one each week
but that's a bit extreme.  Others stay with just one for a decade.  Most of us are
 in the middle somewhere.

A LiveCd session leaves no trace on your computer.  It should pick-up on all the hardware that you
have plugged in at the time and be able to find your internet connection.  Sometimes some of them
need a little coaxing.  Some people use LiveCd sessions regularly for safer internet banking or to
repair systems while others use them just to test-drive different systems.  Your ISP still logs
everything you do in just the same way as they would in Windows so avoid breaking any 'local' laws
in the same way as normal.

Oddly i find it's the cheapest blank Cds you can buy that are better for this.  I think more
expensive CDs are more highly tuned for data-storage rather than for running an OS.  I've even had
really expensive Cds fail and then 1 from a cheap pack of 20 (the packs that cost less than a
small(ish) lump of bad cheese) worked fine.

On 1 machine the Cd-drive appeared to be almost completely dead in Windows but i managed to get a
tiny Gnu&Linux distro called SLiTaz (30Mb) onto the Cd.  Then i booted the "LiveCd" of that.  It's
so tiny that you can even take the Cd out while still running the "LiveCd session" (it's really
running entirely inside Ram without even touching your hard-drive or Cd-drive).  With SLiTaz the
Cd-drive was rock-solid so i was able to make a Cd of Ubuntu.  Then because Ubuntu had been made
using the same Cd-drive i was finally able to boot-up a "LiveCD session" of Ubuntu.  The LiveCd
session usually allows you to install the OS and if so then it usually allows you to play simple
games while you are waiting for the installer to do the next thing.  On more advanced hardware you
could be doing emailing, watching a movie, playing a game and surfing the internet all while doing
the installing but that's a bit extreme.

The 1st thing is to try a few different LiveCd sessions so you can find out what you prefer the
look of, and which works better and which you are happier using as your first.

From: Andrew Brown <andrewbr@icon.co.za>