From: aqualung <xfekdcugjrkz@mailinator.com>
To: users@libreoffice.org
Sent: Sat, 16 April, 2011 10:27:36
Subject: [libreoffice-users] Re: Ellison's Oracle washes hands of OpenOffice

Tom Davies wrote:

<snip>
"It was a cheap way for Oracle to hurt their rival" ??  Sun you (Ellison)
idiot.  Not Oracle, but Sun was the company that owned OpenOffice and did
the
work of preventing the community from developing the product.

Ahem, Tom... Those were my words, so I guess it's me who is the idiot

Also, the article in The Register was written by Gavin Clarke, not Larry
Ellison (CEO of Oracle).

Glad to hear that companies are lining up to support LibreOffice. It is
essential in my opinion. I used to think that Open Source meant amateur
enthusiasts writing code in their spare time, but that was before I learned
that more than three quarters of Linux comes from developers on the payroll
of corporations.

Hi :)
Sorry my quoting doesn't work in here!

Ooops, well it was a minor point and probably the first one you made and you are
not getting paid for writing an article against LO.  I thought you said it was
Ellison that wrote the article so that's my mistake lol.  If the writer had made
the mistake then it would have been stacked on top of a whole series of FUD.

When someone makes an innocent mistake that is fine, we all do it.  When people
use a whole stack of mis-information in a supposedly reputable paper with what
appears to be a malicious intent then that is a whole different bottle of
crisps.

Now, next time i read anything in The Register i will do so with the knowledge
that they do no fact-checking and are little more than rumour-mongers rather
than anything worth taking notice of.  Gavin has sullied the reputation of The
Register imo, although i would have to read the actual article before really
judging it.