On 31/12/21 3:10 am, James Harking wrote:
> I think you need to be realistic here, if you are going to continue to use
> Microsoft Teams for video conferencing you would use the rest of the
> package also, correct me if wrong but there would be no cost benefit for a
> business to not using Microsoft Office then?

it depends on many things, like:

- Why is the company using Microsoft software?

- why are they migrating to Libreoffice? (then only we can tell if the effort of migration is worth)

- Do they need everything in the same package-- like video calls, email, calendar etc?

- How will you convince a company to migrate to Libreoffice? I mean, what would be the main point? The integration of email, calendar etc?

> While I appreciate your desire to not use proprietary software I think you
> are in a small minority that has that viewpoint

I agree that I am in a minority having that viewpoint. I actively work for raising awareness about this. So, the question I ask is: How do I go about making people realize the value of freedom? or they controlling the software? Why can't we work on marketing the freedom/control part?

> and importantly freedom of
> choice to apply that decision.

Yes, I am lucky. But I don't see every person as lucky as me going through a lot of inconvenience for their privacy and freedom. If everyone as lucky and privileged as me acts, it would definitely make a lot of difference.

> Most end users will have to use the software
> that is supplied to them in their workplace.

Right. I would be happy to see people boycotting nonfree software at places where they can, even if they use at places where they are forced to. this already does not happen.

> Regarding additional application software that fills a missing 'void' that
> LibreOffice does not currently cater for I am talking about strategic
> partnerships to grow the whole ecosystem.

I need to think about it.

> This will benefit LibreOffice considerably and the 'partner' software
> vendors. And will reach your end goal quicker of more FLOSS desktop
> application usage.

If several packages integrated into one is the only selling point Libreoffice has, then the company will choose another software in future which has more integrations and more features.

All in all, my opinion is we need to emphasize the freedom aspect and interoperability aspect(open standards) of LibreOffice. For being realistic, we can give examples rather than being abstract, like no license fees, modification of code can be done by company for any purpose. They don't need to ask Libreoffice or anyone for the permission. They can do it on their own. We have so many examples where freedom came to rescue and we can use them.

--
Ravi Dwivedi
https://ravidwivedi.in/