Hi all,

From: christoph@dogmatux.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 18:37:54 +0100

I'm quite late, but nevertheless ... The original thread starter was
about the FAQ section and a reference to Google how to pronounce
"LibreOffice".

When I started the LibO branding pages, I also added what other people
discussed so far; some time ago. You'll find recordings for LibreOffice
(unfortunately, to different speakers) here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#LibreOffice

But maybe a good reminder ... Florian, you once talked about a
professional speaker who might help us. Is there any chance to ask him
to provide a "LibreOffice" sound recording that we can make available on
the branding pages and on the website. What do you think?

Branding pages are too obscure a place to be even noticed.
Most users will not be interested in branding. So placing the file won't serve the purpose.

This is more like introducing ourselves at the first meeting. ("Hi! I am Christoph.")
That's a clue to the other guy about how to address you: Christoph or Chris, or anything YOU prefer.

Similarly, the Home page is the best place to introduce the "LibreOffice" sound.
(In the form of (a) sound file AND (b) the pronunciation key)
No visitor will miss it.

Don't forget the WikiPedia: It can spread the correct pronunciation like wildfire!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Pronunciation_respelling_key

@Sound file:
How about using a text-to-speech engine?

Since the "Libre" word is not English, it may not be pronounced well.

You can have to change the spelling several times till the engine pronounces it correctly.

It would be better if the sound file contains a female and a male voice repeating the name.
Some people (especially aged 40+) have difficulty in hearing a particular frequency range.
This will help them.

Of course, a single sound file serves all websites around the World.
We can make it available (CC license) to Wikipedia.

Also plan to distribute it to non-affiliated host sites that review/compare/rate/host software.
(Some important examples: cnet.com, download.com, alternativeto.net, etc.)

@pronunciation keys for the non-English languages:
I think Sophie would be the best person to organize this volunteers working on each non-English
website.

Regards,
Narayan