Hi Tom, Noel,
Dan, Alex and the others were all quite helpful. I'm going to explore some
of my options. Noel suggested H2 as a back end and I was impressed with its
specs. I downloaded the program and was pleased with the very clear
documentation. In Noel's last post he was good enough to point me to a step
by step tutorial for replacing embedded HSQLDB with H2. Unfortunately, that
server appears to be down the last few days. Nevertheless I was able to get
a connection to the H2 backend with JDBC using the H2 documentation. I have
run into some syntax and database naming differences which I shall have to
clear up. I expect I shall have plenty of questions about Base's behavior
as a client.
Hank

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hi :)
Sorry about scaring you!  Hopefully you have picked up some good ways of
doing this from some of the other threads.

If the database is not small then there are tons of good back-ends any one
of which would be great to use.  I think Postgresql might be the best at
the moment but you might also enjoy using MySql/MariaDb instead and there
are other good ones.

Hopefully it should be reasonably easy to migrate the tables and doing so
should not affect tables and forms especially if they are built up from
Queries rather than directly from the tables.  If they were do directly
refer to the tables then they probably do need a bit of editing but
hopefully nothing too drastic.

Apols for not replying sooner!  I've just been a bit snowed under and
anyway Dan, Alex and others know far more about specifically Base itself so
hopefully someone has been able to give you much better help!
Regards from
tom :)