I was asked to send a DVD to Them this morning.  I told Them that it
would cost too much and it did not have their native language in the DVD
since it was meant for a different region of the world.  I made sure
they knew where to download the spoftware and linked to the "choose
language" page.

On 10/07/2013 03:50 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Dear Sir
It's free.

However, an extra advantage of using OpenSource software is that organisations can re-invest some
of those savings into having more control of the work that goes into the product.

Some examples;
*  If a university created a new, possibly part-time, employment position such as "Community
Development Officer" then that person could work with professors, lecturers, teachers to enable
students to work on real-world projects rather than just relying on learning purely theoretical
knowledge.
    *  Students learning "English as a foreign language" could tackle small sections of the
various guides to translate into their own language.  Alternatively their homework or classwork
projects might be to work on video tutorials;  reading or creating scripts, capturing video
screen-shots
http://spoken-tutorial.org/
    *  Students learning business studies or sales and marketing might be encouraged to work
together to appear at a trade-show or conference to promote or inform people about the advantages
of LibreOffice and OpenSource in general.  It might involve creating or adapting marketing
materials, own-language Dvds.
    *  Students in computer sciences might learn C++ or Python faster if they are given "Easy
hacks" or if the university finds something specific they want coded.  For example, see the grey
borders around most programs?  In LibreOffice they can be themed to look more interesting.  The
university crest could be shown there on machines inside the university and students might want
to show that off at home or other places too.

*  Organisations, such as Universities, sometimes find they use software in an unusual way and
want to have more control over the coding work, or they find a bug-report that they feel is
urgent but no-one else is really affected by it.  With proprietary software, such as MS Office,
they are stuck.  With OpenSource software, such as LibreOffice, they could employ someone locally
or a local company to work on a specific problem.  By permanently employing, probably part-time,
a developer they have more control over the issues that get worked on.

Many organisations employ people to work on different aspects of LibreOffice.  Often it is to
work on the programs coding directly as "developers".  For example Redhat employee developers and
donate a lot of their time to LibreOffice as a whole but when Redhat need something specific done
they can rely on that getting done.  Of course openSuSE benefits from the work of Redhat
employees but their employees are also working on it so Redhat benefits from the work done by
openSuSE employees too.  There are a lot of companies, universities, even government departments
in various countries who work on LibreOffice together in this way.

So, while LibreOffice is free the more important thing about it is that the University can have
more control over it than they could have over proprietary alternatives.

By the way this mailing list is really meant for User Support / Technical Support and not really
for sales.  Also the general public use this list to help people with any question they might
have about LibreOffice.  So none of the opinions (or even facts quoted) on this mailing list are
necessarily reflecting the views of "The Document Foundation" or the views of anyone officially
working on LibreOffice.  You might even spot one or 2 sulky individuals trying to undermine
LibreOffice and OpenSource in general.  However, we try to solve most things here and if we can't
solve it then we can usually "sign-post" people to the correct mailing lists or sources of
information.  In your case you might want to talk to our marketing team
Marketing@Global.LibreOffice.Org
Subscribe to them in the same way you subscribed to the Users List.  Once you have done that it
might be wise to unsubscribe from the Users List because this list is very high-traffic.

For large scale "migrations" from MS Office to LibreOffice please can i recommend you get in
contact with our marketing team but also please get in contact with the "Free Software
Foundation".  Preferably get them to give you a regular advisor (it's probably a free service or
if they do charge it should be well worth it).
http

The general advice is usually to keep the existing versions of MS Office but install LibreOffice
alongside it so that people can choose which they want to work with.  Newer machines and
refurbishments can increasingly focus on just LibreOffice.

There is no reason to get rid of old versions of MS Office to start with.  Microsoft like to try
to push people into getting rid of their existing versions in order to force people to use
unfamiliar tools.  If those unfamiliar tools are non-MS then there is usually a strong push to
spend loads of money buying the newer version of MS Office but again that is so unfamiliar to
people that they need retraining.  Microsoft makes quite a lot of money from certifying trainers
to be qualified to retrain users in the use of their newer products.  So, the better option is to
keep the existing versions of MS Office and gently encourage people to get more and more familiar
with LibreOffice/OpenOffice but allow them to use the existing MS Office to meet tight deadlines
until they begin to find it is actually easier for them to meet those deadlines with LibreOffice.

So the quick answer is that LibreOffice is free but you might choose to reinvest some of the
savings in order to get even more value out of it.
Regards from
Tom Davies