I don't really know what skill level they currently have or what they need to
aim for (i haven't read your links yet).  Also i think the question might be
better asked in the devs mailing list rather than marketing list.  If you wanted
ideas for a marketing project this would be the perfect place.

My immediate thoughts are;

1.  Base would be awesome.  Any work on it would be fantastic.  A good place to
earn a good reputation if the skills are up to it!  I don't think anyone is
really working on it now but there are a few people that could help with some
guidance, eg Alex Thurgood if he has time and i guess there would still be
mentors on the coding side.  It is a huge challenge although there are probably
a ton of easy hacks listed.

2.  SVG import and embedding for all platforms.  Apparently it is done for
Windows versions but not Mac, nor other Bsd nor even Linux!  Usually linux stuff
gets done first apparently as it's easier to port to the other platforms (except
possibly it's not so easy to port to Windows as it is to port to Mac).

3.  Perhaps a collection of Easy Hacks.  Just select a bunch in a single app
(such as Base).

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&query_format=advanced&status_whiteboard=EasyHack&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks

4.  Perhaps working on a needed Extension might be good?  I don't know of one
but there are lots for OpenOffice that haven't been migrated to official TDF
servers.  Apparently a lot have been pushed into main-line LibreOffice but there
might be something there.

5.  The most under-staffed group in TDF at the moment is the Documentation
Team.  They have just had 3 new people join last week and those 3 have already
done a ton of excellent work but more people are needed.  It is a very friendly
& helpful team so working there is quite rewarding.  I guess this doesn't count
as coding because they don't usually even need to use mark-up language but it is
the most critically short-staffed area in TDF right now and there is a ton of
work to do urgently.

I have bcc'd this email to Alex in case he has specific ideas.  There are other
people that know quite a lot about databases, particularly Base, but his is the
name i remember most clearly most easily.