(1) No, IIRC Apple does not use the Java Accessibility API and Java Access Bridge for its native
Aqua/Cocoa NSAccessibility framework as used in VoiceOver. And OOo/LibO accessibility libraries
make use of roles from NSAccessiblity framework to support OS X builds.

But for development/implementation of non-Aqua/Cocoa Java accessible applications under OS X, a JRE
and Java Access Bridge is required on OS X.

So, with Oracle now building the JRE used by OS X, it could conceivably be having an impact on the
Apple Accessibility APIs.

(2) The Java Access Bridge is capable of supporting all assistive technologies that are implemented
in Java, but most defined roles came from the earlier Microsoft work on MSAA and IAccessible.  The
a11y accessibility working group has moved beyond that with IAccessible2, ATK/GAIL and AT-SPI
efforts. And of course Microsoft is doing its own thing for Windows, replacing the MSAA/IAccessible
with UI Automation.  Both the Accessibility wiki and the Java wiki documentation can use more work.

Stuart

From: Dushan Mitrovich <dushanm@spinn.net>
To: "Alexander Thurgood" <alex.thurgood@gmail.com>
Cc: users@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Wednesday, 10 October, 2012, 20:00

<snip>

Alex, thank you for this info - it finally tells me where to look.  In Mac OS X.6.8, Accessibility
Tools is called Universal Access, and yes, I do have that turned on, for two reasons: to be able to
magnify an area of the screen on occasion, and to run Zooom 2, which provides focus-follows-mouse.
Both of these, and especially the latter, are very useful, so I'll wait for LO version
3.6.3 to see if that solves the crashing problem.

Thanks for pointing me out of limbo.

- Dushan
<snip>