Moving to SilverStripe

I'm about to start moving the na dvd to the SilverStripe server.

After filing two documentation errata on the SilverStripe bug tracker, I
feel I understand the product well enough to do some damage.

To ask the first of what will probably be many questions: The current
index.html references several CSS files (typography.css, form.css) Are
these somewhere on the SS box? I see the basic distribution and some
extras already.

Cheers,
jec

And the first of what are to be several "Never Mind" messages.

Cheers,
jec

Hey Jeff,

I'm about to start moving the na dvd to the SilverStripe server.
After filing two documentation errata on the SilverStripe bug tracker, I
feel I understand the product well enough to do some damage.

:slight_smile:

To ask the first of what will probably be many questions: The current
index.html references several CSS files (typography.css, form.css) Are
these somewhere on the SS box? I see the basic distribution and some
extras already.

The active theme used for your dvd is 'tdf' taken from the main site and
just slightly modified:
https://github.com/tdf/cms-themes/tree/master/tdf

These files are not accessible via CMS interface, so you might want to
download and adjust them. When you're done rename the theme folder and
either send me a zip or provide a link, I'll upload it for you as long
as you don't have permissions to access the server yourself - I'm not
involved in this topic... but I'll bring it up.

And the first of what are to be several "Never Mind" messages.

never mind :wink:

cheers
Erich

Hi Erich:

   1. That github reference doesn't look like where we should start
      (it's too low-level). It's clear thet the NA-DVD project started
      with the tdf theme by the simple expedient of copy/paste.
      Therefor, that's the theme I'm working with. Nevertheless, I think
      we'll want to remove the header text: "The Document Foundation"
      and replace it with: "North American Community DVD - English
      version" That text is currently on the right side of the screen.
      It seems this is necessary as the DVD is not from TDF. How to do this?

   2. I see the following language packs in the /installer/ folder: de,
      es, fr, it. We're also including these locales/languages: en-GB,
      en-US, he, pt-BR, pt.
      What's the recommended way to link to these language packs?

Thank-you, Erich

Cheers,
jec

Hi Jeff, *

The active theme used for your dvd is 'tdf' taken from the main site and
just slightly modified:
https://github.com/tdf/cms-themes/tree/master/tdf

   1. That github reference doesn't look like where we should start
      (it's too low-level). It's clear thet the NA-DVD project started
      with the tdf theme by the simple expedient of copy/paste.
      Therefor, that's the theme I'm working with. Nevertheless, I think
      we'll want to remove the header text: "The Document Foundation"
      and replace it with: "North American Community DVD - English
      version" That text is currently on the right side of the screen.
      It seems this is necessary as the DVD is not from TDF. How to do this?

You just have to change the logo to the one without text (used on your
site) and set the 'website name' as mentioned NA DVD... positioned by css.
Anyways to work on 'your' theme in the future it is necessary to create
a folder containing the (modified) files from git and renamed to e.g.
'natheme' or whatever and upload this to the server for futher use.

   2. I see the following language packs in the /installer/ folder: de,
      es, fr, it. We're also including these locales/languages: en-GB,
      en-US, he, pt-BR, pt.
      What's the recommended way to link to these language packs?

Friedrich is just reorganizing the folder structure, so the available
langpacks etc. will be accessible for all subsites, give us a little
more time for this.
The link is set by clicking on the link symbol, choosing 'download file'
in the right panel and then choosing the pack from the folder/files list
displayed - insert link - save - done.
For this kind of basics pls check out the Silverstripe 'Help' tab.

Have to run, cu later

cheers
Erich

Hi Jeff, *

Jeff Chimene wrote:

[...] I think
      we'll want to remove the header text: "The Document Foundation"
      and replace it with: "North American Community DVD - English
      version" That text is currently on the right side of the screen.

On the main website the header area is only accessible for the site admins.

Probably one of the admins on the DVD site (are there dedicated admins
for the different sub-sites?) has to step in here.

It seems this is necessary as the DVD is not from TDF.

I would disagree, but this question needs clarification by the SC:

Your DVD is not a distribution created by a single community member
or a small group of individuals. It is the work of an officially approved
LibreOffice team, trying to cooperate with the other dedicated teams
in the best possible way, sharing as much resources as possible.
This impression is enforced by using the same infrastructure.

Thus it's creation is part of the community's work and therefore under
the scope and guidance by The Document Foundation.

But this is just my personal position - I know that there might be
different opinions on this point. If you want to have this question
decided, please send a request to the steering committee's mailing list.

Best regards

Bernhard

How to do this?

Hi Jeff, *

Jeff Chimene wrote:

[...] I think
       we'll want to remove the header text: "The Document Foundation"
       and replace it with: "North American Community DVD - English
       version" That text is currently on the right side of the screen.

On the main website the header area is only accessible for the site admins.

The header text/name for the current LibreOffice-NA.US/English/ DVD is not part of the CSS header format. It is just between where the CSS header ends and the Menu bar begins. That was the easiest way for me to do that.

Probably one of the admins on the DVD site (are there dedicated admins
for the different sub-sites?) has to step in here.

       It seems this is necessary as the DVD is not from TDF.

I would disagree, but this question needs clarification by the SC:

Your DVD is not a distribution created by a single community member
or a small group of individuals. It is the work of an officially approved
LibreOffice team, trying to cooperate with the other dedicated teams
in the best possible way, sharing as much resources as possible.
This impression is enforced by using the same infrastructure.

Thus it's creation is part of the community's work and therefore under
the scope and guidance by The Document Foundation.

Having a DVD that is officially approved by TDF and the SC was the next phase of the original DVD project.

The only problem I had with the DVD was how many files there were for each included file/link. It seemed much harder to keep updated than the structure I used. Also, the DVD was setup so an IT person could bypass the HTML files and use the DVD folder structure to find the files he/she needed to use. The more sub-folders he/she needs to go through to get the files, the "harder" the DVD is to use as a Data DVD. I know many IT people that use package DVDs that way.

If all the install files and much of the other content is updated by some other group of people and it used by all of the different sub-projects, then that would be good no matter how complex the file/folder structure is. For the LibreOffice-NA.US DVD project, I was the one who had to keep all the install files up-to-date, so I wanted it to be as easy as possible and be done as quickly as possible. The current DVD, it takes about ten minutes to edit the HTML files once the 3.3.2 files were downloaded into the proper install folders.

But this is just my personal position - I know that there might be
different opinions on this point. If you want to have this question
decided, please send a request to the steering committee's mailing list.

Best regards

Bernhard

How to do this?

    2. I see the following language packs in the /installer/ folder: de,
       es, fr, it. We're also including these locales/languages: en-GB,
       en-US, he, pt-BR, pt.
       What's the recommended way to link to these language packs?

I/we have the localized language files so the DVD would be useful for more than one group. "PT" was added when "pt-BR" was not included for the Windows version in 3.3.0 and 3.3.1. Now there is the Brazilian version of that file, so "PT" is no longer needed.

"HE" was added since some people I know complained that there was no single package that they had access to that could use both Hebrew and then use English. They are a group, like the Hispanic communities in the south western area of the USA, that seems to be overlooked by software package developers. So those communities hopefully will be happy with our DVD project when it is done.

Hi Jeff, *

>> The active theme used for your dvd is 'tdf' taken from the main site and
>> just slightly modified:
>> https://github.com/tdf/cms-themes/tree/master/tdf

> 1. That github reference doesn't look like where we should start
> (it's too low-level). It's clear thet the NA-DVD project started
> with the tdf theme by the simple expedient of copy/paste.
> Therefor, that's the theme I'm working with. Nevertheless, I think
> we'll want to remove the header text: "The Document Foundation"
> and replace it with: "North American Community DVD - English
> version" That text is currently on the right side of the screen.
> It seems this is necessary as the DVD is not from TDF. How to do
this?

You just have to change the logo to the one without text (used on your
site) and set the 'website name' as mentioned NA DVD... positioned by css.

Ok, I'll try this.

Anyways to work on 'your' theme in the future it is necessary to create
a folder containing the (modified) files from git and renamed to e.g.
'natheme' or whatever and upload this to the server for futher use.

Ok. I'm not sure this dvd will ever have a private theme, but anything is
possible.

> 2. I see the following language packs in the /installer/ folder: de,
> es, fr, it. We're also including these locales/languages: en-GB,
> en-US, he, pt-BR, pt.
> What's the recommended way to link to these language packs?

Friedrich is just reorganizing the folder structure, so the available
langpacks etc. will be accessible for all subsites, give us a little
more time for this.

Ok. That's what I needed to know. I'm not in any hurry. I didn't think that
it would be appropriate upload language packs in that they had to be (or
would be in the future) there *somewhere*. On the other hand, I have
uploaded some project_small.png icons(16.x16). We used them on one of the
pages.

The link is set by clicking on the link symbol, choosing 'download file'
in the right panel and then choosing the pack from the folder/files list
displayed - insert link - save - done.
/For this kind of basics pls check out the Silverstripe 'Help' tab.

I agree, the basic technical details are easily found in the documentation
One thing I have found is that the right mouse button to open a
context-sensitive SS menu doesn't work well on FF4. I've switched to Chrome
for this work.

Thank-you for your support!

Cheers,
jec

Hi Berhard:

Thank-you for that clarification.

I'll wait until the *sturm und drang* (ok, maybe a bit strong...) over the
trademark policy subsides, then ask. I suspect it will be only a matter of a
few days until the tally of the final vote.

Cheers,
jec

<snip>

Ok. I'm not sure this dvd will ever have a private theme, but anything is
possible.

<snip>

Drew wanted us to have/use a "community" theme instead of the TDF theme. Both are on the DVD. When the change to the new LO icons, I replaced the old icons to the new ones in the theme for our DVD. Last time I looked, the last ISO of the LibreOffice-Box DVD ISO, the icons where still the old versions on the TDF theme.

Hi Tim,

Yes, as long as we were on a non TDF server then I felt that to be the
only acceptable, other then a private label, option - and then only so
long as we kept the appropriate contact on and contact point to TDF
mailing lists.

Best wishes,

Drew

Hi Jeff, *,

Jeff Chimene schrieb:

[..]

   2. I see the following language packs in the /installer/
folder: de, es, fr, it. We're also including these
locales/languages: en-GB, en-US, he, pt-BR, pt.
      What's the recommended way to link to these language packs?

Not shure, what's Your intention and "where You are". The packs you see
are already unpacked and the way they are linked depends from the
platform they target. If that was Your question it might be a good idea
to look how this is achieved by the german DVD. It should be possible
for You to browse all projects. If not - please give a note.

Friedrich is just reorganizing the folder structure, so the
available langpacks etc. will be accessible for all subsites, give
us a little more time for this.

Meanwhile I think, it's useful to have all LibreOffice packs available
in installer/ the unpacked ones as well as the original ones. Both are
present for the moment. installer/libreoffice/ contains relevant
released files, according to the structure mirrored here:
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/
The files contained are hardlinked to save diskspace.
Any input regarding the folder scheme for the unpacked packages welcome.

Ok. That's what I needed to know. I'm not in any hurry. I didn't think
that it would be appropriate upload language packs in that they had
to be (or would be in the future) there *somewhere*.

Uploading any files provided by libreoffice doesn't make sense as they
are on the machine already. Also unpacking installers and creating ISO
files to happen there makes sense.

[..]

Thank-you for your support!

Gruß/regards

Hi Jeff, *,

Jeff Chimene schrieb:

[..]

>>> 2. I see the following language packs in the /installer/
>>> folder: de, es, fr, it. We're also including these
>>> locales/languages: en-GB, en-US, he, pt-BR, pt.
>>> What's the recommended way to link to these language packs?

Not shure, what's Your intention and "where You are". The packs you see
are already unpacked and the way they are linked depends from the
platform they target. If that was Your question it might be a good idea
to look how this is achieved by the german DVD. It should be possible
for You to browse all projects. If not - please give a note.

I can see them in the preview pane, but it doesn't seem possible to view
them in the editor. If possible, please try to grant read-only access to
those projects. No hurry, as it will be several days (at least three or
four) before I'm in a position to resume work on this project.

>> Friedrich is just reorganizing the folder structure, so the
>> available langpacks etc. will be accessible for all subsites, give
>> us a little more time for this.

Meanwhile I think, it's useful to have all LibreOffice packs available
in installer/ the unpacked ones as well as the original ones. Both are
present for the moment. installer/libreoffice/ contains relevant
released files, according to the structure mirrored here:
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/
The files contained are hardlinked to save diskspace.
Any input regarding the folder scheme for the unpacked packages welcome.

I'm guessing it will work to link to installer/

> Ok. That's what I needed to know. I'm not in any hurry. I didn't think
> that it would be appropriate upload language packs in that they had
> to be (or would be in the future) there *somewhere*.

Uploading any files provided by libreoffice doesn't make sense as they
are on the machine already. Also unpacking installers and creating ISO
files to happen there makes sense.

Good. I'm glad to see that's the case.

I'll be on the road the next few days.

c u,
jec

Hi Jeff, *,

Jeff Chimene schrieb:

[..]

..it might be a good idea to look how this is achieved by the german
DVD. It should be possible for You to browse all projects. If not -
please give a note.

I can see them in the preview pane, but it doesn't seem possible to
view them in the editor. If possible, please try to grant read-only
access to those projects. No hurry, as it will be several days (at
least three or four) before I'm in a position to resume work on this
project.

I setup a TEST-DVD subpage containing a (lousy) copy of "LibreOffice"
page from the german DVD. There You should be able to get an Idea, how
linking works. You can modify and try without affecting any productive
page. :o))

All Authors should have publishing access there.

To examine the live effects You have to add following line to Your OS'
hosts file:

178.63.91.70 dvd.test.libreofficebox.org

because that subdomain is not setup as DNS Entry.

[..]

Gruß/regards

Hi Jeff, *,

Jeff Chimene schrieb:

[..]

>> ..it might be a good idea to look how this is achieved by the german
>> DVD. It should be possible for You to browse all projects. If not -
>> please give a note.

> I can see them in the preview pane, but it doesn't seem possible to
> view them in the editor. If possible, please try to grant read-only
> access to those projects. No hurry, as it will be several days (at
> least three or four) before I'm in a position to resume work on this
> project.

I setup a TEST-DVD subpage containing a (lousy) copy of "LibreOffice"
page from the german DVD. There You should be able to get an Idea, how
linking works. You can modify and try without affecting any productive
page. :o))

All Authors should have publishing access there.

To examine the live effects You have to add following line to Your OS'
hosts file:

178.63.91.70 dvd.test.libreofficebox.org

because that subdomain is not setup as DNS Entry.

Hi Friedrich

I got the message "The requested page could not be found." in that address,
even puting it in my hosts files.

Rgds

[..]

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/

--

Paulo de Souza Lima
Técnico em Eletrônica e Administrador

Hi Paolo, *

[Testpage]
All Authors should have publishing access there.
To examine the live effects You have to add following line to Your OS'
hosts file:
178.63.91.70 dvd.test.libreofficebox.org
because that subdomain is not setup as DNS Entry.

I got the message "The requested page could not be found." in that address,
even puting it in my hosts files.

It is available now, the homepage was missing.

Unfortunately I get the same upload errors unless admin permissions :frowning:
will try to figure out why and come back to the list.

Cheers
Erich