Use of Nabble and/or Mail to Thread Discussion ?

I'm following these discussions and doing the documentation editing on my laptop, which is not my "main computer" where I have my email set up. I can't "Reply" using Nabble, since it says I don't have permission (why?). I can send out a top-level message to start a new thread by sending it to the list address, no problem. But how can I keep the discussion thread when I don't have the original message in an email program to "reply" to?

Are you subscribed to the list, at least with -nomail? For some reason, this setup works differently than the OOo/ezmlm lists; I've seen some indications that people need the -nomail subscriptions here.

Hi, :slight_smile:

I'm CC'ing this to Drew Jensen, who originally set-up Nabble, and
Christian Lohmaier. Hopefully, they will be able to provide further
enlightenment...

David Nelson

Hi, :slight_smile:

I'm CC'ing this to Drew Jensen, who originally set-up Nabble, and
Christian Lohmaier. Hopefully, they will be able to provide further
enlightenment...

David Nelson

>> I'm following these discussions and doing the documentation editing on my
>> laptop, which is not my "main computer" where I have my email set up. I
>> can't "Reply" using Nabble, since it says I don't have permission (why?). I
>> can send out a top-level message to start a new thread by sending it to the
>> list address, no problem. But how can I keep the discussion thread when I
>> don't have the original message in an email program to "reply" to?
>
> Are you subscribed to the list, at least with -nomail? For some reason, this
> setup works differently than the OOo/ezmlm lists; I've seen some indications
> that people need the -nomail subscriptions here.

PLEASE don't give advice without understanding.

> --

OK the big difference is that Nabble maintains a separate archive and
has it's own members database - so if you want to post via the Nabble
archive you must have an account in the TDF specific nabble database.
TDF/Nabble archive then from within the Nabble interface they can go to
a TDF/List and have Nabble handle the list registration - you can, from
within the Nabble interface opt to receive mails to your personal
in-box, but the default it to not do so.

If you registered to a TDF mail list in a 'normal' way, meaning outside
of the Nabble interface, then you sill must register with the Nabble
database (tdf specific db) before it will post a message to the any list
for you - which is a good thing, so no anonymous posting.

Let's look at that again - I registered with a TDF mail list, from my
mail client, I go to Nabble and say post this to that list - it says I
don't know you, so you register with Nabble and then go to the list and
try to post - Nabble will say: You must be registered with the list and
you just say - go to hell and post it..it works, because once nabble
knows who you are it will do what you ask.

Now you are not registered to a ML from you mail client.
You go to Nabble, try to post, are prompted to register, you do so, now
you want to post to a list and Nabble again tells you that you must
_still_ register with the list (because Nabble does not own the lists)
and you say OK - nabble will generate an email to register your email
address (the one your registered with Nabble) to the mailing list with
the noreply flag, you will get a confirmation in your mail client in-box
and you must reply to that just as if you had registered yourself.

Now - one advantage here is that you never need to unregister. This is
really good for those cases where someone wants to ask 1 or 2 questions
and then doesn't want to see the list anymore. or, a likely scenario,
they ask 1 or 2 questions every year or so, this is a common scenario
and again this never needing to unregister (therefore not needing to
re-register) is handy.

That 1 or 2 question person by the way (and yes I already ran the
numbers for LIbO, just like I did at OO.o) makes up the overwhelming
majority of list users (and not just on the users list).

To wrap it up - for the OP here, just register with Nabble, for on-going
purposes, I wrote this long email as a first draft for a wiki
page...will put a link here when it is done.

Thanks

Drew

[...]

Hmm... I thought I was asking a question, not giving advice, and please note the "some indications" -- this was not intended as a positive statement that a -nomail subscription is required, just a reaction to some things I've seen here. What I hoped was that somebody who actually knew what was needed would respond (it had been several hours since the initial post), and you did. Thanks.

From what you say below, it appears that Nabble initiates the subscription to the ML for the poster (once properly registered with the Nabble database), either with or without the -nomail option as specified by the poster, and that the poster does not need to do it directly (in the "normal" way, from a mail client). But the poster needs to complete the subscription process by replying to the confirmation message sent by the TDF/LibO list manager, so that no moderation is required. Am I understanding now? I did get a bit confused between "registration" and "subscription" -- these are normally not synonymous terms.

I did register with Nabble.

On the Nabble screen, I clicked "other options" and told it to subscribe me to the list. I replied to the email it sent to confirm. I notice it mentioned the "nomail" option. Note that I'm already subscribed to the list with the same email address used to register Nabble, but in case it proxies things or uses different options, I did that. Note that I did not get any warning from the list concerning already being subscribed, not did it change the options and stop sending mail on the original subscription.

But, I still cannot Reply using Nabble.
So that wasn't it, or something else is up.

Hi, :slight_smile:

So that wasn't it, or something else is up.

I don't know, but I send you a load of documentation and it's been
bouncing, and now failed permanently:

    d6474ghtgy@snkmail.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Unspecified Error (SENT_MESSAGE): Connection reset by peer

Any connection?

David Nelson

I forwarded that to the support form of sneakemail.
He raised the time-out to 5 minutes; said you might have a slow connection. If there are more problems, check with Kevin at webmaster2@sneakemail.com.