Thanks, Tom, but the need is for dynamic. I know I can download the Google Docs file, but that won't help. I had wanted to do everything on Google Docs originally, but the function GD offers for reading (importing) data from one sheet to another sheet has a limit of 50 uses in the spreadsheet.

What I'm trying to do is this: we have a spreadsheet on GD that maintains membership information (names, addresses, phone, etc) and which is accessed by 2 people. I have started working on another spreadsheet that will maintain dues information (amount assessed, payments made, etc.) The second sheet would be accessed only by a third person. So GD provides a function that would enable the second sheet to import data on members from the first sheet, but has the 50 instance limit. We could maybe work around that, but the bigger problem is that GD doesn't have any "normal" mail merge function. It does allow JavaScripts that could perhaps serve the purpose of a mail merge operation, but JavaScript is beyond my abilities. So, I figured I could build what I need for the second sheet using LO or OO and use their mail merge function to generate invoices/bills. That brings me to the need to have Calc read the membership data from GD.

This project has become way more complicated than I anticipated. I started out looking for a free membership mgt. package, but we don't have a server that could host what's available. The solutions that provide hosting all cost at least $50/month which is far too expensive for us. That brought me to GD....

-Michael

On 9/27/12 2:57 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
Ok, this is probably not what you are looking for but just to clear the idea out of the way ... Can you just open the google-docs spreadsheet and save it onto your computer? Then just double-clicking on it should open it in Calc.

Google-docs uses the same native format as LO but both can save as .xls or .xlsX (MS formats) and Google-docs might do that by default. If Google-docs does that instead of saving in native .odS then you can probably choose "OpenDocument Format" from Google-doc's "Save As ... " menu. Double-clicking on the .ods almost definitely opens the file in Calc.

Alternatively if it has saved as .xls or .xlsX then right-click the file and choose "Open With" and then try to find Calc or LibreOffice in that menu. This approach is slightly different in different OSes but is roughly the same in all except Apples.

A similar alternative is to open Calc (or just LibreOffice) and then drag&drop the file onto it. This approach will definitely work whatever format it's in unless something really weird is going on in which case tells us and we might be able to figure it out.

However i have a feeling that you don't want to download the file at all and just want LO to dynamically read the Google-docs spreadsheet while other people are editing the google-docs spreadsheet. If so then i think there is a far better answer but it involves using Base at your end and having a proper database on a server somewhere.

So, the question is do you want to do this with static data (as in my first 4 paragraphs), or dynamically changing data?