Many projects have 2 branches so that;

1 is stable (because it has been around for longer and received more "service packs", bug-fixes,
patches and all the rest).  Generally it continues to recieve more updates and people do continue
to work on it because whatever issue they were working on is easier to finish without starting
again from scratch or radically re-thinking it.  Hopefully after their work has been completed they
and others are able to convert it to work on another branch.  It's difficult to drag people away
just as it's difficult to drag a gamer away from "just completing ths 1 more level.  I'm nearly
there, honest"

The other takes whatever is already done or near enough finished and then adds tons of new features
without having to worry tooooo much about how usable the new branch is going to be.  It's where new
devs are initially attracted to, where the greatest excitement and activity is generated.

Then once that new branch has been around a while, and the people working on the newer features
have fixed any problems they hadn't anticipated or solved completely unrelated breakages, then that
starts to become "the stable branch".  That usually seems to happen around x.x.3.  The x.x.4 is
usually fairly rock-solid.  Big cheers all round.

So there are 2 very different types of devs at any 1 time and if we don't supply the type of
activity they get a real buzz from then many  may well  just wander off to some other project that
does.  It's not really the case that taking people off one thing means they will focus on what you
want them to do.  It's better to just have them all and make the most of what they do 'enjoy'.

From: Amit Choudhary <contact.amit.choudhary.india@gmail.com>