On 08/08/2014 12:54 PM, Sophie wrote:
Hi Pikov,
Le 08/08/2014 18:47, Pikov Andropov a écrit :
Joel Madero wrote on 8/8/2014 12:39 PM:
I really just got a little laugh (not following the thread generally) but:

     Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote on 8/8/2014 9:59 AM:

     > Everything really depends on you neighbors' needs, and wants.  You need
     > to discuss with them what they want our of the software packages you
     > install for them.

     Not my neighbors! They want to be able to open DOC files, write letters,
     maybe do a simple spreadsheet. So compatibility with MSO files is
     super-important.

     Software should be transparent.

Having "software should be transparent" next to "be able to open DOC
files" (doc of course being closed source proprietary software for years
controlled by a company who is anything but transparent) reads a bit
comical :)
What difference does it make that a file was produced by a proprietary
program?
you're right, this is not the program that is important but the file
format. Giving the ability to the users to retrieve the data he owns
over years is the real important thing.
The operator of LO would like to be able to just click on that file's
icon or name have LO open it, without having to know anything else about
LO or Microsoft.
The day Microsoft will abandoned the binary file format it produces,
this operator will regret to not use LibreOffice and its default ODF
file format. This is not just like clicking on a button, this is data
you produced and where you should remain the only proprietary, not the
software that produced it.

Kind regards
Sophie

Thanks Sophie.

I think that is one reason why ODF has become the ISO for International office file transfer, or something like that. Cannot seem to find the correct wording. We needed a non proprietor set of file formats that can be used by people, businesses, governments, and large organizations, to send back and forth to each other and be usable by everyone. MS just did not want that, so it seemed to me. More and more governments and larger "National" and "International" organizations have started to announce that they are switching to ODF and some are also saying they are switching to LibreOffice to do this. But, the key is the switch over to ODF. If the office suite implements ODF properly, then they should be able to read - and work with - any ODF file that was sent to them by any other - different - office suite package that these users are not using on their local systems.

For me, and my opinions - I thing MS does not want this type of "read from any source" idea, even their own older office suites. They want to make money selling their newest office suite to users, so they make it so you need to upgrade your older version to be compatible with their newer version's OOXML file formats. That is why some of the people now send out .doc files - they have several versions of MSO in their company and cannot afford to buy every user a new version when they add an new system and have to buy the newest version of MSO for it. I have dealt with one local government that has MSO 2003, 2007, 2010, and now 2013. They cannot afford to pay out the money to upgrade all of their systems with the newest version, every time they replace a system - or add one. I still am trying to get them to look into LibreOffice as a cost saving solution. Many of the "tech support people", from many organization [like the local government] know and like LibreOffice, but the upper management seems stuck on using MSO and will not change the way they "always do things". Well, there is a movement to go to ODF by my State's government, so when that happens, the local governments may go that way also. LibreOffice - in my opinion - is the best option for supporting ODF in an office suite market.