Working in groups

Hi!

I think everyone knows at least one feature, which would be nice for LibreOffice. I made my thoughts, how people with the same thoughts could communicate very easy. And I think Mailing Lists are a very good way for that. They do not need three or even more archives, but there should be one for a thought. For example:

a_teams@libreoffice.org
zzzz_teams@libreoffice.org

After the improvement of the feature by the mailing list, a Writer or Impress document should be published, which will be voted. If the feature gets good grades, it will be programmed and included with the next (feature) release.

PS: The moderation of the ML should be done by (all of) the subscribers.

Hi,

I think everyone knows at least one feature, which would be nice for
LibreOffice. I made my thoughts, how people with the same thoughts could
communicate very easy. And I think Mailing Lists are a very good way for
that. They do not need three or even more archives, but there should be
one for a thought. For example:

I see the need for some improved collaboration tools for projects, groups and teams, and I recall there is already some list in the wiki what tools to evaluate. Etherpad is a name that pops to my mind, but maybe I mix things up here.

More mailing lists, I think, are not a good idea. We already have many of them, and setting up more will only lead to issues where to subscribe to.

Florian

Hi Florian, all

If I understand the purpose of this list right, it is about topics to be spread among the different language projects. General discussions should be posted on discuss@TDF.

But perhaps I'm wrong, so don't take my opinion as the only truth...

Florian Reisinger schrieb:

Hi!

I think everyone knows at least one feature, which would be nice for
LibreOffice. I made my thoughts, how people with the same thoughts could
communicate very easy.

The first point would be to come together. How will the different people get to know about a new idea they want to join?

Probably they would need a list of feature proposals on the wiki.

And if they are already on the wiki, I don't see a reason to leave the wiki for working on this topic.

Create a dedicated wiki page for every feature idea.
Invite others to contribute to this page until this idea has become mature enough to search for a developer interested in working on it (probably the most challenging part).

And I think Mailing Lists are a very good way for
that. They do not need three or even more archives, but there should be
one for a thought. For example:

a_teams@libreoffice.org
zzzz_teams@libreoffice.org

As Florian already stated, more mailing lists cause more infrastructure work and should be avoided.

If the team wants to work on a feature using a mailing list, they could use the discuss list, adding a tag [MyFeature] to the subject, so their communication could be filtered.

But I really don't see any advantage over working on the wiki (with the "talk" subpages of the wiki pages and eMail notification, if this works again).

The discuss list (or design, if it is a UX related topic - okay, I don't know any possible feature not relating to user experience) should be informed when the task is started and when it's finished, but more mailing lists are not the way to go in my opinion.

After the improvement of the feature by the mailing list, a Writer or
Impress document should be published, which will be voted. If the
feature gets good grades, it will be programmed and included with the
next (feature) release.

We already think of some kind of voting system for feature requests - but even with high votes there is no guarantee that any developer picks it up...

Our developers are either volunteers or employees of distributions or other companies. The former pick the code to work on depending on their personal preferences, the latter have to follow their employer's wishes (or can decide on their own). No community member (not even the entire community) is able to force any developer to work on a certain feature.

If developers don't know where they should spend their time best, we might be able to point them to the most requested features, once they have been listed.

But that's all...

Best regards

Bernhard

PS. Your English is really good enough for the international lists!

From Bernhard Dippold

Florian Reisinger schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> I think everyone knows at least one feature, which would be nice for
> LibreOffice. I made my thoughts, how people with the same thoughts could
> communicate very easy.

The first point would be to come together. How will the different people
get to know about a new idea they want to join?

Probably they would need a list of feature proposals on the wiki.

And if they are already on the wiki, I don't see a reason to leave the
wiki for working on this topic.

Create a dedicated wiki page for every feature idea.
Invite others to contribute to this page until this idea has become
mature enough to search for a developer interested in working on it
(probably the most challenging part).

> And I think Mailing Lists are a very good way for
> that. They do not need three or even more archives, but there should be
> one for a thought. For example:
>
> a_teams@libreoffice.org
> zzzz_teams@libreoffice.org

As Florian already stated, more mailing lists cause more infrastructure
work and should be avoided.

OK

If the team wants to work on a feature using a mailing list, they could
use the discuss list, adding a tag [MyFeature] to the subject, so their
communication could be filtered.

But I really don't see any advantage over working on the wiki (with the
"talk" subpages of the wiki pages and eMail notification, if this works
again).

It should just be coordinated at the wiki...

The discuss list (or design, if it is a UX related topic - okay, I don't
know any possible feature not relating to user experience) should be
informed when the task is started and when it's finished, but more
mailing lists are not the way to go in my opinion.

> After the improvement of the feature by the mailing list, a Writer or
> Impress document should be published, which will be voted. If the
> feature gets good grades, it will be programmed and included with the
> next (feature) release.

We already think of some kind of voting system for feature requests -
but even with high votes there is no guarantee that any developer picks
it up...

Of course, but it might be a good way for our developers, if they do not know what to do (I know, that this will not happen - There is always a lot of work to do)

Our developers are either volunteers or employees of distributions or
other companies. The former pick the code to work on depending on their
personal preferences, the latter have to follow their employer's wishes
(or can decide on their own). No community member (not even the entire
community) is able to force any developer to work on a certain feature.

I never wanted to *force* anyone. It should just couse food for thought.

If developers don't know where they should spend their time best, we
might be able to point them to the most requested features, once they
have been listed.

But that's all...

I agree

Best regards

Bernhard

PS. Your English is really good enough for the international lists!

Thanks

--

Kind regards

Florian R.