I agree that Base seems a bit of a mess but if you follow Andreas' guidance then it hopefully works
better.  There are other people on this list that are great at helping with Base but he seems
better at giving a better over-view of Base.  Most of the problems appear to be with wizards and
stuff.  Also it's a very different thing than Access so trying to wrap your head around the basic
concept is a major Pita.  I wouldn't migrate your databases from Access to Base just yet.  Just
settle in with the rest of LO first.  Base doesn't seem to have so many devs working on it as the
other apps but it may gain a few in a month or so.  The docs team are working on an excellent
handbook for Base which may help people understand it better and once you understand the basic
ideas it's really quite exciting (imo).  Tons of potential but needs a good pruning before it can
really grow.

Impress is also not so great at the moment but at least it's easier to understand what you want
from it and it kinda makes sense.  Again, seems to have less devs than Writer or Calc.  Draw seems
to be more popular and seems to gain more attention for the increases in it's functionality.

Generally i would avoid the early release in any branch.  I like to try them but only on one of my
own systems, not on any of my colleagues.  It's good to try the x.x.0 - x.x.3 but just for your own
benefit, to post bug-reports against and hopefully catch the interest of the most possible devs
before they move on to other things (such as the next branch).  Each branch becomes much more
stable by the x.x.4 and from then on just increases in stability without gaining much extra
functionality.  Better stability means you are less likely to find something that needs to have a
bug-report posted.  The x.x.6 tends to be very solid.  Think of that 3rd number as a "Service Pack"
but divide by 2 because MS only goes up to Sp3.

I suspect the recalculation in Calc might be a memory issue?  Perhaps try
Tools - Options - Memory
and bump a lot of those values up.  Also look in
Tools - Options - Calc
to see if something weird is in there.  There is a key that forces recalculation but i don't know
it.

The in-built help files are not as useful as the official documentation.  You can get the latest
and even pre-release guides from
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
Some of the 3.3.x guides have been translated into a few other languages but not many.  To get the
in-built help you have to download it and then install after installing the main part of LO.  For
example the 2nd 'button' on
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?type=win-x86&lang=en-GB&version=3.5.6
Note that you can choose from many other languages.  That link is for English (Gb/Uk) but for my
colleagues i have added Gujaratii, Italian, Japanese and more so that different logins on those
machines can have different languages.

I definitely agree that LO needs to far exceed MS Office in order to even get looked at.  In many
ways i think it is far better but i can admit that it does have apparent weaknesses that are more
likely to be noticed than the good stuff.  It's the same for people from any minority group.  If
you are 10 times better but they notice 1 thing they think is odd then they focus on the 1 thing.
However, as Gandhi said "First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you.
Then you win" so don't be discouraged.  I think LO has pushed things from a decade of being stifled
in step 1 into somewhere between 2 & 3 and in some places (such as Brasil) step 4 already!

When migrating away from MSO it's usually better to keep using it but gradually use LO more but at
the start only for a few things or even just one or two things until you get more familiar with the
difference.