[steering-discuss] libreoffice.org e-mail accounts

OTOH if people use the email address "person@openoffice.org" then it gets the
name "OpenOffice" out there and being seen by a lot of people. Free
advertising!

Yes, i think the problems that can be caused by people mis-representing the
organisation can be costly but then a lot of people have "person@gmail" or
"person@yahoo.co.uk" or similar and no-one assumes they represent those
organisations!

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Howdy,

If you are going to issue email addresses just use the real name, if the
risk is perceived as large then just say no.

If you decide to issue these vanity email addresses I can see for
leading word volunteer:

nickname@libreofficecommunity.org

is a better choice IMO.

Adios,

Drew

Hi Florian, all

Florian Effenberger wrote:

Hello,

as discussed yesterday in the confcall, we're planning to give out
official LibreOffice e-mail accounts to people who are community members
per the membership committee's decision. [...]

My plan is to hand out only e-mail forwarders, not real mailboxes with
POP and IMAP, as the latter one requires lots of maintenance.

+1

[...]

For LibreOffice, I'm a bit hesitant to hand out @libreoffice.org, as
this may seem like people are acting on behalf of TDF, causing liability
issues. Maybe I'm too touchy, so I'm happy for comments, which is why I
am writing this mail. :slight_smile:

As membership has to be requested and approved in a formal way, I could
imagine to include a passus in the formalism where community members
declare not to act as representatives or spokespeople for the LibreOffice
community or TDF unless they have been approved to do so.

Perhaps a mandatory signature like the following would be sufficient:

(First Name) Name
- LibreOffice community member -

In this case a mail address like nickname@libreoffice.org might be sufficient
IMHO.

And in case of possible abuse (or deliberate misinterpretation) the community
membership can be revoked...

If usage of the @libreoffice.org mail address still looks too risky, I'd vote for

My plan is actually to have something like

   volunteer.nickname@libreofficecommunity.org

nickname@libreofficecommunity.org
(or nickname@libreoffice-community.org)

Best regards

Bernhard

+1
For some people this is even a matter of pride, like wearing a t-shirt with a well known brand or message.

So, nickname@libreoffice.org

Leave the mail for TDF oficials as @documetnfoundation.org

Regards

Brilliant! I definitely like the sound of that as it solves all the issues
there. Good thinking :slight_smile: Can we do this?

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

I totally agree with Olivier. Just to make the concept stronger, and to protect us from possible email trolls, we can add a specific paragraph in the bylaws.

Hi all!

> So, nickname@libreoffice.org

> Leave the mail for TDF oficials as @documetnfoundation.org

I totally agree with Olivier. Just to make the concept stronger, and
to protect us from possible email trolls, we can add a specific
paragraph in the bylaws.

Yep, agree as well. (Especially since we'll never get rid of less
informed people who spread strange information ... independent of any
email address.)

And if there are still some concerns, my proposal would be:
forename.lastname@community.libreoffice.org

Cheers,
Christoph

Hi all!

And if there are still some concerns, my proposal would be:
forename.lastname@community.libreoffice.org

Sorry for this proposal, I totally missed Florian's earlier mail
containing a statement concerning sub-domains. Bad if one starts reading
from the most recent mails :wink:

Cheers,
Christoph

Howdy,

I like that construct.

You could also flip the problem or solution on it's head.

Instead of an adornment such to remove authority use it to state it.

forename.lastname@bod.documentfounation.org
forename.lastname@esc.documentfounation.org

Part of taking responsibility for the role is receiving such an address,
when or if your roll reverts to community member only.

nickname@libreoffice.org

Perhaps a special case of:
forename.lastname@documentfounation.org

for paid staff.

Just a thought - but again Christoph's change is pretty good IMO if that
is the way you choose to go IMO.

//drew

oh well - it looked good;)

//drew

Hi,

However, as we had lots of irritating issues with @openoffice.org e-mail addresses, I would like to avoid these mistakes.

Well, the real problem at OOo with such adresses was, that anybody could register at the website and then could use an @ooo mail address.
So *anybody* could claim to have some connection to OOo.

It's evident that @documentfoundation.org accounts are only for those who work for/with TDF and are eligible to represent them in certain aspects, like the SC or administrators.

For LibreOffice, I'm a bit hesitant to hand out @libreoffice.org, as this may seem like people are acting on behalf of TDF, causing liability issues. Maybe I'm too touchy, so I'm happy for comments, which is why I am writing this mail. :slight_smile:

I don't see, that we will run into the same troubles as OOo. We have a defined membership process, people can only become members, if they did some work to further our projects and will continue to do so. So becoming a TDF member is a privilege, that needs to be earned.
Why should we not show, that we welcome our members by giving a libreoffice.org mail address? Besides the already mentioned fact, that longer domain names are ugly, I'd like to keep it stupid simple:
- TDF representatives (SC, ESC, BoD, MC ...) get documentfoundation.org mail aliasses
- approved members get libreoffice.org mail aliasses

regards,

André

Flo,
[...]

What are your thoughts?

I've forwarded your mail to the l10n list to get the feedback of the team. So the link to the archive of the thread is:
<http://go.mail-archive.com/LdL2QlAJepqW7wxcToMVwNaZbWE=>

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi Olivier, *,

Olivier Hallot schrieb:

OTOH if people use the email address "person@openoffice.org" then it
gets the name "OpenOffice" out there and being seen by a lot of
people. Free advertising!

+1
For some people this is even a matter of pride, like wearing a t-shirt
with a well known brand or message.

I agree with this.

Regarding easy handling:
I tend to expect there is more good than bad to be generous with
@libreoffice.org Mail adresses to people joining or even beeing in favor
of LibreOffice. Similar as, but not equal as of with openoffice.org. As
mentioned by Bernhard, there should be a mechanism of revoking it and it
should be clear for everyone this can happen in case of missuse.

So, nickname@libreoffice.org

+ 1

Leave the mail for TDF oficials as @documetnfoundation.org

Gruß/regards

Hi,

Hi Olivier, *,

Olivier Hallot schrieb:

>> OTOH if people use the email address "person@openoffice.org" then
>> it gets the name "OpenOffice" out there and being seen by a lot of
>> people. Free advertising!

> +1
> For some people this is even a matter of pride, like wearing a
> t-shirt with a well known brand or message.

I agree with this.

Regarding easy handling:
I tend to expect there is more good than bad to be generous with
@libreoffice.org Mail adresses to people joining or even beeing in
favor of LibreOffice. Similar as, but not equal as of with
openoffice.org. As mentioned by Bernhard, there should be a mechanism
of revoking it and it should be clear for everyone this can happen in
case of missuse.

> So, nickname@libreoffice.org

+ 1

> Leave the mail for TDF oficials as @documetnfoundation.org

+1, I would even add the following: @libreoffice.org are only available
for official contributors and even they have to request it (I don't
exactly see the automatic need for, say, a code contributor to have
such an address).

Best,
Charles.

Hi,

+1, I would even add the following: @libreoffice.org are only available
for official contributors and even they have to request it (I don't
exactly see the automatic need for, say, a code contributor to have
such an address).

Don't you think that the rule that active contributing is mandatory
for membership does apply? Else there will be members of different
degrees. :frowning:

Volker

Hi, :slight_smile:

Don't you think that the rule that active contributing is mandatory
for membership does apply? Else there will be members of different
degrees. :frowning:

+1

David Nelson

Hi,

> +1, I would even add the following: @libreoffice.org are only
> available for official contributors and even they have to request
> it (I don't exactly see the automatic need for, say, a code
> contributor to have such an address).

Don't you think that the rule that active contributing is mandatory
for membership does apply? Else there will be members of different
degrees. :frowning:

oh, yes, three times yes! Please don't misunderstand me: active
contributing gives right to membership (see the bylaws) and if you're a
member, you can therefore request a @libreoffice.org alias, but it's
just that you may or may not feel the need to have it (hence my example
about the developer); it simply depends on what you're doing and
whether you would like to have it or not.

best,
Charles.

If you guys would like i have experience setting up email servers on Linux.

it would be an imaps dovecot server + postfix.

the way it will work is in order to have an email you have to have an account on the server. also there will be web mail access, as well as access via clients like Thunderbird etc.

Hi Charles, *,

Who is it, You agree?

Charles-H. Schulz schrieb:

Olivier Hallot schrieb:

>> OTOH if people use the email address "person@openoffice.org" then
>> it gets the name "OpenOffice" out there and being seen by a lot
>> of people. Free advertising!

> +1
> For some people this is even a matter of pride, like wearing a
> t-shirt with a well known brand or message.

I agree with this.

Regarding easy handling:
I tend to expect there is more good than bad to be generous with
@libreoffice.org Mail adresses to people joining or even beeing in
favor of LibreOffice. Similar as, but not equal as of with
openoffice.org. As mentioned by Bernhard, there should be a
mechanism of revoking it and it should be clear for everyone this
can happen in case of missuse.

> So, nickname@libreoffice.org

+ 1

> Leave the mail for TDF oficials as @documetnfoundation.org

+1, I would even add the following: @libreoffice.org are only
available for official contributors and even they have to request it
(I don't exactly see the automatic need for, say, a code contributor
to have such an address).

I've a different view whom beeing part of the community:
What's about one passing the (upcoming) DVD to his neighbour plus giving
him first support but never appearing in the official "contributing
system" here?

Whats about the teacher advocating and promoting LO in his scool or even
an excited user advocating the suite in his company? You wouldn't allow
him to use a @libreoffice.org alias?

You agree the statements of Tom, Olivier and mine one, finally
advocating the opposite - did You read it? :o))

No offence :o))

Gruß/regards

Hi guys,

> > Leave the mail for TDF oficials as @documetnfoundation.org

+1, I would even add the following: @libreoffice.org are only available
for official contributors and even they have to request it (I don't
exactly see the automatic need for, say, a code contributor to have
such an address).

  I would agree; that handing out @libreoffice.org addresses is a
reasonable thing to do - for members.

  Unfortunately, we have no members yet: but the new MC hopefully will
solve that problem for us. Clearly membership needs policing to avoid
any mis-representation problems, but I think the number of these is very
small.

  Incidentally, as we give developers git commit access, they get an
@freedesktop.org re-direction anyway, so :wink: there is some elite club
that they join that way.

  Free advertising is always good, so if we can get a million
@libreoffice.org E-mails out, it can only be useful IMHO.

  ATB,

    Michael.