Another question just occurred to me:

If the installed footprint for an Adobe Reader is 6GB, how was it installed?  Surely it was not by
Internet Download?  And that would tax the capacity of a DVD-ROM.

I think it might be very important to establish what is consuming all of that hard-drive space on
someone's machine.

 - Dennis

PS: My complete installation of Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Business has a footprint of 632MB,
although there are more files (about 310MB) in a separate Common Files folder shared among
Microsoft applications.