Well, in the Disk utility, there is a gray area that is the ext4 partition. The small space left it split in half, top half and bottom half. It sure reads like they are separate partitions, since they are both named using the "partition" word. Extended partition and Swap Partition. Unless they created the Extended partition and created a new partition within it, that is.

Still whether it is 11 GB or 22 GB of space, it still is either 87 GB for the OS folders or 76 GB [roughly]. 76 to 87 GB is a lot more than your 10-15 GB you tell me is needed. Sure, when I do a new/fresh install of a Ubuntu system on a drive, the OS file space takes up little of the disk. BUT, and the "big-but" is what size do you need to have after a year or more? I installed 12.04LTS a few days after it came out. I did a clean install after backing up all my /home files. Then I restored all my data/files and then started to install all of the packages I needed to install to run the system the way I like.

12.04 comes with Unity desktop environment. I do not like it, so I install MATE. Then, there are some packages that need some of the KDE files. K3b and other packages and utilities I use are "default" package with KDE and seems to want some KDE system files installed. 2+ desktop environments can add space to the OS. The "plus" is the KDE system files. I use to install the FULL set of packages for KDE d.e. but decided that I did not need to do that when I did my 12.04LTS upgrade. I let the packages install whatever dependencies they needed.

On 08/07/2013 09:18 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
My guess is thatUbuntu created an 11Gb Extended Partition purely to put the 11Gb Swap in.  Not
quite sure why it did that but the installer tries to make sure your system stays reasonably
flexible for the future