so sorry about the suits and suites, but sadly, spelling (or proof reading)
is not one of my scills :) :)

All this discussion came about because of the fact that large organisations
such as Microsoft are able to offer a wide range of  interrelated
applications where as the smaller producers and I include in that the open
source developer communities, at best can only offer a small range of
products and we have to rely on a number of producers and open source
communities to provide the whole gamut of applications we use on a day to
day basis.

It is simply easier for a large company to offer an all in one package but
that does not make their products better than the smaller producer or open
source community. In fact it is the later that generally provides the better
quality.

The answer, I believe,  as I said before, is in the open source communities
being able to share more and to get more involved with industry standards so
that we don't only get a wide variety of providers but also a wide variety
of possible combinations of products that should all fit together
seamlessly.

Maybe I'm the dreamer but all indications to me are that that is the way the
future is moving despite the desires and wishes of companies like Oracle and
Microsoft. It is definitely better for us the customers.

I understand that Mac users are the most neglected when it comes to software
choices but that is mostly Apple's fault for tying everything up and
limiting the  incentive for software development. The answer there is when
you have to do your next hardware upgrade move to Linux. There are some very
good distributions available now that would make most mac users feel right
at home.

Bruce Carlson