On 04/05/2011 08:15 PM, Harold Fuchs wrote:

"webmaster for Kracked Press Productions" <webmaster@krackedpress.com> wrote in message news:4D9B3A0B.9020404@krackedpress.com...

Is there anything I can do to reduce some of the system requirements?

I have a P-III tablet, running Win2000/pro, that has less than 256 MB ram and only 4 GB drive with 2 gig free. I would love to have LibreOffice on it, but OOo 1.x is on it now and I just installed Word 97 on it for the .doc files. I would rather have LibreOffice on it instead of OOo 1.x and Word 97, but I will not use it much for office work, except faxes, since it is the only machine I now have that can send [print] faxes. Seems like Vista does not have it for the non-business versions, and I cannot get Ubuntu [9.x or 10.x] to use any of my fax/modem cards.

I also use 800 by 600 for the tablet, since that is the smallest icon and system/menu font size I can use on it and its touch pad on screen keyboard.

IF I could get the fax/modem to work, along with the touch features needed, I could switch to Linux. I do have to find out if it is "faster" than Win2000 for this P-III 400MHz tablet.

---------------

The software and hardware prerequisites for installing LibreOffice on a Windows system are as follows:

* Microsoft Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4 or higher), XP, Vista, or Windows 7; * Pentium-compatible PC (Pentium III, Athlon or more-recent system recommended);
    * 256 Mb RAM (512 Mb RAM recommended);
    * Up to 1.5 Gb available hard disk space;
* 1024x768 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at least 256 colors.

<snipped>

How about the PortableApps version that installs on a USB key or external hard drive without touching your hard disk? See www.portableapps.com

I have half the ram needed [128MB] and run a P-III at 400 MHz. The Portable App version takes almost 3 minutes to load up on a 2GHz laptop, so it could take 5 or 10 to load on a 400MHz one. USB thumb drive [for data] is hit or miss. I have one that is used for something else, but works with the tablet, but my other that uses removable SD/MiniSD/MicroSD cards does not. Will have to try some other types of thumb drives later.

The big reason I want this system working is using it as an e-reader, a fax "sender", and a few other things that a tablet can do that my desktop and larger laptop cannot anymore.

Also, when did this type of software need 1 gig of hard drive space?