MariaDb is a drop-in replacement for MySql.   MySql is a very famous database program that can be
used as back-end for Base.  So Base can be used as the front-end for MariaDb or MySql databases
with varying degrees of success.  MySql is owned and managed by Oracle.  MariaDb is a community
organisation a bit like TDF.