Hi Sophie,

From: <sophi@libreoffice.org>;
Send time: Friday, May 29, 2020 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names

Hi Ming,

Le 29/05/2020 à 11:02, Ming H. a écrit :
I was translating various language names used in LO and had
a question about the English strings, specifically the name of Congo.
As a Chinese I know nothing about languages spoken in Africa, so
I'm writing to the list, hope someone more knowlegable can answer.

For the languages presented in LO, the parentheses are usually used
for notation of the country/region the language is spoken in.
[...]

In fact, this is part of the language name and not only the name of the
country. Look here for Kituba:
https://glottolog.org/resource/languoid/id/kitu1245

I respectfully disagree.  They are just names linguists use to distinguish
dialects/variants of the same language.  Linguists may like to call them
different languages like they differentiate all those dialects of English:
https://glottolog.org/resource/languoid/id/stan1293
But to an ordinary layman, they are just the same language, spoken with
slight differences in different countries.

And note that although this website uses names like "Indian English", LO
uses "English (India)" in the style I described.

But what is strange is that Aka has no area attached to it
https://glottolog.org/resource/languoid/id/akaa1242
https://iso639-3.sil.org/code/soh

In my original link
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/translate/libo_ui-master/svtoolsmessages/zh_Hans/?q=source%3A%22(Congo)%22&offset=2
you can see three other languages as well (click the "Next" button):
Koongo, Njyem, and Yombe.

I wonder where it comes from, I'll ask Eike

Eike is definitely the expert on these locale issues.  It would be great to
hear from him.

Regards,
Ming