Yes.

It should be that easy.  The only issue is that the 3.6.x branch wont pick-up all the settings and
configurations of branch 4.0.x, but that might be advantageous anyway.

Before doing the uninstall-reinstall it might be worth considering a couple of other options
1.  Renaming your user-profile often fixes weird and unlikely problems
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/UserProfile
branch 4.0.x might not be picking-up the settings and configurations you set for branch 3.x.x but i
think you can rename folder 3 to folder 4 to sort that out.

2.  Maybe install 3.6.x alongside 4.0.x.  I wouldn't advise this as it can get a bit confusing
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel

3.  Wait a few days and then install the 4.0.3 when it gets released.  Typically new branches have
added tons of functionality and better compatibility with MS formats but have been a little buggy
sometimes until they reach around x.x.3 or x.x.4.  That 3rd digit is a little like the "Service
Packs" that MS uses for it's stuff except they only do 3 whereas LibreOffice does about 6 during
the life-cycle.  Many people wouldn't consider installing an MS product until at least Sp1.  Prior
to the 4.0.x i usually didn't upgrade until around x.x.3.  I've been quite happy with the 4.0.x but
maybe that was luck or that i didn't use it so much.