Response in-line

-----Original Message-----
From: Christophe Strobbe [mailto:christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be]
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 06:33
To: accessibility@global.libreoffice.org
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] [DISCUSS] What do translation and accessibility have in
common?

At 20:38 2-10-2011, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
I just saw this web page:
<http://www.translationautomation.com/interoperability-is-important-for-the-translation-profession.html>

It struck me that there is an overlap between translation and
accessibility.  I am not clear how to describe it.  I think it is
there. Does anything about the translation debate say something to
you with respect to accessibility arrangements and having them be
interoperable?

I think you will need to expand on this, because I don't see what the
overlap would be.

<orcmid>
  I thought some of the commercial issues raised in that topic
  might have some counterparts in accessibility and certainly
  features on systems for integrating with the accessibility of
  individual programs, say.

  But I asked because it occurred to me that there might be some
  relationship, not that I had one in mind.  I don't work in
  accessibility myself.  I recognize its importance and wondered
  about any relationship with translation tooling, if any.
</orcmid>

The basic accessibility requirements for an application are support
of the platform's accessibility API, keyboard access and themeing
support (for both high contrast modes and large fonts). Screen reader
users may find it more important than other users to have all their
software in the same language because I have not seen accessiblity
APIs that tell you the language of an application's UI. (E.g. I have
a Dutch version of Window-Eyes, which only pronounces its own UI (!)
in Dutch if you set a synthesiser for Dutch in the program.) With the
exception of this instance, I don't see any overlap (if that is the
correct word) between accessibility and translation, let alone
between accessibility and interoperability between computer-aided
translation tools.

<orcmid>
  I think translation of accessibility information would be relevant.

  I think having multi-lingual information be accessible might
  also be important.

  I even thought there might be an overlap between having translation
  as a feature also be accessible.
</orcmid>

Best regards,

Christophe