Base is a great front-end.  One of the really awesome features is that it makes it easier to
connect to a range of different 3rd party back-ends that would hold the data of the database.  So,
it makes Base highly scalable.

MariaDb/MySql is probably a tad heftier than most people need if they just need an address book for
a couple of hundred people.

If you would like to find out more about Base and databases generally then the first couple of
chapters of the Base guide are well worth reading
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
First i would read the chapter in the Getting Started Guide on that page.

From: MariaDB Announce List <announce@mariadb.org>
Subject: [MariaDB Announce] MariaDB 5.3.6 now available
To: announce@mariadb.org
Date: Monday, 9 April, 2012, 9:01

The MariaDB project is pleased to announce the immediate availability of MariaDB 5.3.6. This is a
stable (GA) release. It includes MySQL 5.1.62, some performance improvements, and several bug fixes.

Most importantly, MariaDB 5.3.6 includes a fix for a bug which, under certain rare circumstances,
allowed a user to connect with an invalid password. This is a serious security issue. We recommend
upgrading from older versions as soon as possible.

- - MariaDB 5.3 Links - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 Release Notes: http://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-536-release-notes
     Changelog: http://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-536-changelog
     Downloads: http://downloads.askmonty.org/mariadb/5.3.6

 .deb Repositories: http://downloads.askmonty.org/mariadb/repositories/

 Overview of MariaDB 5.3: http://kb.askmonty.org/en/what-is-mariadb-53

- - SkySQL and MariaDB: Solutions Day - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We'll be co-hosting the the "SkySQL & MariaDB: Solutions Day for the MySQL® Database" one day event
on 13 April, 2012, at the Hyatt Regency, Santa Clara.

During this event, attendees will receive free, hands-on training and
consulting on MariaDB and MySQL® database solutions from the experts at SkySQL, MariaDB,
Continuent, ScaleDB, Severalnines, Sphinx, and Webyog, among others. SkySQL and MariaDB will bring
together industry visionaries, including Michael (Monty) Widenius and David Axmark, the original
authors of the MySQL database, to share their insights on current and future trends pertaining to
the world's most popular open source database.

To learn more about this free event, visit:
   http://www.skysql.com/events/mysql-solutions-day

The schedule for the event is here:
   http://www.skysql.com/events/mysql-solutions-day/schedule

Attendees are also invited to participate in Drizzle Day - a parallel
event co-hosted by SkySQL, Percona, and the Drizzle Development Team, featuring tutorials on the
Drizzle database.

- - MariaDB Crash Course - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The MariaDB-specific book, MariaDB Crash Course, by Ben Forta, is an excellent way to learn more
about MariaDB. This book - for beginner to intermediate level users - will get you up and running
with MariaDB, even if you've never used a database before. More information is available at:
http://forta.com/books/0321799941/

- - User Feedback plugin - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

MariaDB includes a User Feedback plugin. This plugin is disabled by default. If enabled, it submits
basic, completely anonymous MariaDB usage information. This information is used by the developers
to track trends in MariaDB usage to better guide development efforts.

If you would like to help make MariaDB better, please add
"plugin-load=feedback.so" to your my.cnf file! On Windows, add
"feedback=ON" to your my.ini file, or click the checkbox during the
installation of the MSI package.

See http://kb.askmonty.org/en/user-feedback-plugin for more information.

- - Quality - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The project always strives for quality, but in reality, nothing is
perfect. Please take time to report any issues you encounter at:
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/maria

- - Where else to find us - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    We're on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MariaDB.dbms
     We're on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/mariadb
 We're on Google Plus: http://gplus.to/mariadb

We hope you enjoy MariaDB!