I guess you tried using various external back-ends?  Did you consider using one of the back-ends
without having Base as the front-end?

People have already suggested that Kexi is not even as 'advanced' as Base but that was about a year
ago so it's quite possible they were wrong or that things have changed.  It's good to have
something i can recommend to people that are unhappy with Base because Base is clearly not ready
and doesn't have enough devs working on it.