There is always 'unexpectedly low' take-up of Windows newest OS when it first gets released.
Historically corporate users have learned to leave it until after at least the first Service Pack
gets released.  One time MS tried to boost sales by claiming that Service Pack 1 was included in
the initial release.

Usually there is a requirement to upgrade quite a bit of hardware in order to run the newer version
of Windows and that creates reluctance until people have had time to save-up or plan for rolling
out new hardware for the new OS.

Installing Windows always installs their boot-loader (used to be "ntldr") which overwrites the MBR
of the hard-drive and then ignores any other OSes on the machine so that you can only boot into
Windows.  To reinstate your MBR just boot into a LIveCd or LiveUsb or some other way of booting
into a Gnu&Linux and just repair or reinstall just the boot-loader of your distro.  You don't need
a special recovery or repair disk although those sorts of things are just one way to boot into a
Gnu&Linux.  You also don't need to reinstall the entire distro.  It's just a case of repairing your
boot-loader.  One of the final steps of the repair involves 'updating' your boot-loader and if that
is one on a unix-based platform (such as Gnu&Linux, Bsd or whatever) then it picks up the new
version of Windows that your just installed.  Fixing the Mbr is really easy once you have done it
once.

Typically Windows seem to have 1 bad version followed by 1 good one and then the next is bad.
Vista was apparently so bad that many people said they "upgraded" from Vista back to Xp.  Even
though that was a backwards step many considered it an upgrade.  Win7 was quite good.  Before Xp
was Millenium which was generally considered so appalling that people are more likely to have heard
of Win98.  So, people might be expecting Win8 to be another dead OS.

However there is also often quite strong resistance to new things.  Especially to new versions of
Windows.  people have just about become familiar with the older one and don't like the newer ways
of doing things and the fact that it's difficult to find things or work out how to deal with issues
that they had just learned how to solve on the previous.  With Gnu&Linux it doesn't matter what
changes happen to the DE you can always modify it or even just install the old one on your new OS.