@Tom,

What do you mean by "Win8 ready?"

Do you mean integration with multi-touch, the additional UI provisions, or what?

If you mean certified for Windows 8, it will depend on whether the requirements for that have been
worked through.  I know of no reason why LibreOffice can't achieve that.  I don't know if it has
been done.  I'd be very surprised if older versions of Office don't already satisfy the essential
requirements.

If you mean compatible with Windows 8, anything that is compatible with Windows 7 should work.

I just ran the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor on my aging Tablet PC, running Windows XP SP3.  It turns
out that I can't upgrade because the processor on that machine does not have hardware NX support,
and Windows 8 requires it as part of the tighter security with which it operates.

However, on the review of software that needed to be upgraded or that is not supported, Office 2007
was listed as Compatible.  In addition, on that particular machine, the Upgrade Advisor listed this
software as compatible:

OpenOffice.org 3.4.1
Apache Software Foundation

I'm confident, when I run the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor where I have LibreOffice installed, I will
see a similar encouraging result.

 - Dennis

PS: You can purchase boxed Microsoft Office 2013.  It is very pricey.  Here, we'll be renting,
since one single lease will cover all of our multiple household machines and provide all of the
Office components used here.  It will be much easier to have the same version of Office on all
systems going forward.  It was too expensive to do that before.

Some Personal Windows 8 Preparations:

Something else I'm doing to prepare cutting over full to Windows 8 (with older Windows and with
Linux running in VMs for my document forensics work).  Logitech makes a Wireless Rechargeable
Touchpad that provides multi-touch gestures and other features.  I am going to use it to replace my
mouse on Windows 7 and also confirm it with Windows 8 ahead of fully upgrading to Windows 8:
<http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/touchpad-t650>

On Windows 7, there are multi-touch gestures that can work to zoom, scroll, etc.

On Windows 8, additional touch features supported by the operating system will also work.  This
allows me to keep my primary desktop system and its non-touch 30" monitor.

The touchpad should be superior to working with only a mouse and knowing all the keyboard shortcuts
that make Windows 8 operable without touch (and useful, though, for accessibility and integration
with assistive devices).  I expect that LibreOffice integration should be fine, the same as for
Windows 7.  (I also have added Office 2013 Preview installed on Windows 8, but I haven't put it
through its paces there.  I don't know if there are additional Windows 8 behaviors or if it also
runs essentially the same as on Windows 7.)