       Well, not all Americans  ;-)
            the genealogists are finding this causes problems.

       Oh, here's another 'tangent' for "y'all" ...
            What's black & white and red all over? ... will those born post
the internet know this one?

       from the goofy corner,

From: Tom Davies <TomDavies04@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Locale for Bamabara / Bamanankan
To: anne-ology <laginnis@gmail.com>
Cc: Méric JJ <jjmeric@free.fr>, LibreOffice-l10n <
l10n@global.libreoffice.org>

Hi :)
Sadly that would be like LO refusing to handle MS formats.  Americans
wouldn't be able to cope with the way the rest of the entire world
"does it wrong" and they might even find it a blocker for talking to
the rest of the world.  I think most of us realise Americans do it the
wrong way around and just have to cope with it.

Anyway this is a tangent to the main issue which is whether the one
language really needs a long format and if they do they are hopefully
free to re-arrange it to a way that does make sense to them.

On 8 November 2013 16:06, anne-ology <laginnis@gmail.com> wrote:

       yes, stick to the English system;
          then these dates would not become so complicated.
             [why Americans flipped the date is an odd mystery  ;-) ]

       Sticking with the English system, historians - including
genealogists - are happier;
          and the world seems to be as well  ;-)

       Going with the sticky, mysterious American-way, then no one is
certain whether the 1-12 numbers refer to the day or the month  ;-)

       Therefore, my system - and some others - use 'day - month - year'
spelling out the month with 3 letters  ;-)

From: Tom Davies <TomDavies04@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 6:48 AM
To: jjmeric <jjmeric@free.fr>
Cc: LibreOffice-l10n <l10n@global.libreoffice.org>

Hi :)
In England we do that long date the other way around

Friday, 8th November 2013

but we rarely use that.  It's more normal to see slight contractions
of it such as "Fri 8th" but it would be impossible to manage all the
different such contractions that different people use for different
things.  It's easier to get the full version and cut it down or just
type it.  The far more usual way of writing the date here in the Uk is
8-11-2013, or to increase the risk of misreading it 8/11/2012 with the
/s looking a lot like 1s quite often.  We have to have the longer date
available for odd people even though most of us don't use it.

Is that similar in your West African culture or is it that the longer
format never gets used by anyone?

On 8 November 2013 07:52, jjmeric <jjmeric@free.fr> wrote:
Hi all! Good morning / A' ni sɔgɔma

I have submitted a locale for this West African language, however I have
afterthoughts :
My doubts are on two points

- It's not clear to me how the long format date parameters ties things
together, I certainly do not want to have a long format that looks
american
like
Friday, November 8th, 2013
translated as
Juma, Nowamburu 8th, 2013

- Collations/Index key character range <LC_INDEX>:
There are a four extra characters in Bambara, and 3 missing from the A-Z
range. I have submitted it as a string:
ABCDEƐFGHIJKLMNƝŊOƆPRSTUWYZ
but maybe I should have added extra spaces between characters:
A B C D E Ɛ F G H I J K L M N Ɲ Ŋ O Ɔ P R S T U W Y Z
or maybe I should have put it this way:
A-E Ɛ F-N Ɲ Ŋ O Ɔ P R-U W Y Z

I may have made other mistakes : thanks for help and tips.

JJ

PS : yes I have read

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice_Localization_Guide/How_To_Submit_New_Locale_Data
and used the great LocaleGen program at http://www.it46.se/localegen/
but the latter does not give visual feedback of the settings (and idea
for
improvement?)