Hi Amit,

I am very much appreciate your opinion and it is absolutely true. As a user a
rather want to have these little nasty bugs eliminated, still in LO. (i.e.
spelling correction, ..). You dont need to reinvent the wheel every month.

Atlhough I work in totally different business, I made the same experience as
you mentioned for programmers. The pharma industry wants to put new products
in the market with exorbitant prices, dicouraging the old drugs with known
side effects and repeat the cycle before the side effects of the new ones
become apparent.

Walther

Am Samstag, 27. Juli 2013 schrieb Amit Choudhary:
Hi Tom,

I have been programming since 1987. I have all my degrees in computer
science/networking. I have worked for companies like Cisco systems, Juniper
networks and have turned down offers from companies like Google and
Microsoft for one reason or other.

This whole software industry is going in the wrong direction. Actually, by
now we should have been done by all the software (all the necessary
software developed and installed and used, no bugs, etc.

We need to beat Microsoft because we do not want to pay for Office suite.

The best way of doing this is to release stable versions only and this can
be done by increasing the QA cycle period.

I do not release buggy software unless it has been approved by management.
And I have not released any software that's gonna hurt the customer even if
I have to get into discussions with managers, directors, etc.

This whole idea of releasing software frequently is a scam, because work
doesn't get done properly in a small time window. No one gets any time for
innovation and everyone is just interested in the release. And in the end,
the software dies down because the frequent release does not fix things
properly and introduces new bugs and over time all these quickfixes kill
the product.

THERE IS NO DEMAND FROM CUSTOMERS FOR FREQUENT RELEASES. THE DEMAND IS FROM
PEOPLE WHO ARE SOFTWARE ANALYSTS AND THEY WANT SOMETHING TO DO AND HENCE
THEY WANT FREQUENT RELEASES. IT IS A BIG SCAM.

I use around 5-6 external softwares and if everyone is releasing something
every month then it becomes a headache to me.

RELEASING ONLY TWICE A YEAR IS VERY FOOD.

THE BIGGEST RISK OF RELEASING FREQUENTLY IS THAT ORIGINAL PROBLEMS ARE NOT
SOLVED PROPERLY AND QUICKFIXES MAKE MANAGING THE SOFTWARE COMPLICATED AND
IN THE END THE DEVELOPERS GIVE UP AND THE PRODUCT IS SHELVED.

AND ALL THIS HAPPENS WITH PAID SOFTWARE TOO.

Amit

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Hi :)
I think with Base it's better to stay with older branches.  The 3.6.7
might be better.  if the 4.0.3 works for you then stick with that.

Sadly there are still not many devs working on Base.  It's not flashy
enough!