Hi Brian,

Yes, you got it. My goal is to open (not paste in) saved plain text
files in a blank, newly opened Libre Write document.

I've visited Preformatted Style and change the style to Bookman Old 12
point, clicked Apply  and then saved it (or so I thought) only for it
to always default back to Courier New 10 point when I open any plain
text file.

I've created a Default font with Bookman Old 12 point but Libre Write
automatically opens all *saved* plain text files to Preformatted Style
not Default.

I just wondered if there was any way to change which style Libre
Writer will open *saved* plain text files automatically to since Libre
Writer does not seems to save changes to the Prefromatted Style?

Oddly enough if you click Format >Styles the drop down list of
autonomic styles Preoformated is *not* listed.

You must list all styles to find it.

Following webmaster-Kracked's inspiration, I saved a document as Text
Encoded but whne I re-opened the file it still opens all documents
saved as Text Encoded and/or Plain Text in the Performatted Style.

The key seems to be induing Libre Writer to open Text Encoded and/or
Plain Text files to either Default (where I have it set to Bookman Old
12 point) or another style which does not require Courier New 10
point.

Has anyone on the list successful changed the style Text Encoded or
Plain Text files open to?

Thanks so much,

Charles.

Subject:Re: [libreoffice-users] Libre Writer - Opening plain text
documents to desired font
From:Brian Barker <b.m.barker@btinternet.com>
Date:Sat, 20 Oct 2012 04:21:49 +0100
To:users@global.libreoffice.org

<snip>

There are two issues here, I think.  In order to change the
Preformatted Text paragraph style you have to have a document open -
and the change is made to the style in that document, not in your
installation of LibreOffice.  So your change is ignored when you open
the new document from your plain text file.  The way around that might
seem to be to create a template containing your modified Preformatted
Text paragraph style and then to set that as the default template.
You can certainly do that.  Now you would probably expect in this case
that when you open your plain text file the new text (Writer) document
would be created from your new modified default template, but -
perhaps perversely - it appears to be opened using the original
"default" default template, ignoring your desired change.

I trust this helps (though I doubt it does).

Brian Barker