[steering-discuss] Reducing donation ads

Hello,

this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says it would be a good idea to show our support.

What do you think?

Florian

Funny you bring this up I was just thinking about bringing it up on the list. I +1 this i think we should have a banner that says support those in japan or something of the sort.

Hi everybody,

Funny you bring this up I was just thinking about bringing it up on the
list. I +1 this i think we should have a banner that says support those in
japan or something of the sort.

Hello,

this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says it
would be a good idea to show our support.

I agree.

It can't be ignored. Something that is in our reach should be done. A banner
and/or maybe a message on our website.
Perhaps if there is contact with an respected institution for donations, we
can make some reference to the site of this institution.

Unfortunately, I don't have any to recommend.

David

Hello,

Hello,

this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says it
would be a good idea to show our support.

What do you think?

This is an unsolvable moral question. Anyone can always find causes more
urgent than TDF at any time.
The Japan earthquake hit the news today but what about other tragedies
going on in the background or about to happen tomorrow?

Presenting a choice to potential donors:
1) makes the assumption that TDF fundraising necessarily decreases
humanitarian donations
2) causes paralysis by making decision more difficult and painful [1]
3) will never tend to a satisfying position.

Please focus on the Document Foundation. TDF neither has the authority
or ability to save lives or efficiently fund relief for Japan.

Olivier.

[1] See
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html
http://xkcd.com/871/

Oliver i have to disagree. No matter the amount we can offer every little bit helps.

Thanks for raising that. I agree

Sebastian

Hi Olivier, @ll,

Olivier C schrieb:

this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says
it would be a good idea to show our support.

What do you think?

[..]

Please focus on the Document Foundation. TDF neither has the authority
or ability to save lives or efficiently fund relief for Japan.

I also second this.

Yes, it's hard to see people needing help and can't do anything. But on
the other hand I can't see how we from TDF could help effectively. Money
in a country like Japan isn't the bottleneck which makes help failing.

So my vote:
don't stop or decrease efforts of fundraising.

Setup a solidarity note on a prominent place instead. I think it's this,
we all feel deeply.

Gruß/regards

Hi Olivier, all,

Hi Olivier, @ll,

Olivier C schrieb:

this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says
it would be a good idea to show our support.
What do you think?

[..]

Please focus on the Document Foundation. TDF neither has the authority
or ability to save lives or efficiently fund relief for Japan.

I also second this.

Yes, it's hard to see people needing help and can't do anything. But on
the other hand I can't see how we from TDF could help effectively. Money
in a country like Japan isn't the bottleneck which makes help failing.

So my vote:
don't stop or decrease efforts of fundraising.

Setup a solidarity note on a prominent place instead. I think it's this,
we all feel deeply.

Yes, I second your point of view too.

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi Olivier, all,
> Hi Olivier, @ll,
>
> Olivier C schrieb:
>>> this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says
>>> it would be a good idea to show our support.
>>> What do you think?
> [..]
>
>> Please focus on the Document Foundation. TDF neither has the
>> authority or ability to save lives or efficiently fund relief for
>> Japan.
> I also second this.
>
> Yes, it's hard to see people needing help and can't do anything.
> But on the other hand I can't see how we from TDF could help
> effectively. Money in a country like Japan isn't the bottleneck
> which makes help failing.
>
> So my vote:
> don't stop or decrease efforts of fundraising.
>
> Setup a solidarity note on a prominent place instead. I think it's
> this, we all feel deeply.
Yes, I second your point of view too.

+1 as well. I think what's going on in Japan is shocking and terrible
(I'm stuck to online news and twitter feeds atm) but we TDF has no
fundamental material way to help out -unless someone comes up with an
idea.

Let's hope and pray for Japan,

Charles.

Hi,

+1 as well. I think what's going on in Japan is shocking and terrible
(I'm stuck to online news and twitter feeds atm) but we TDF has no
fundamental material way to help out -unless someone comes up with an
idea.

Let's hope and pray for Japan,

two hearts are beating in my breast here -- on the one hand, sure, we cannot do that much. On the other hand, it's a question of grace to freeze our fundraising for a few days, to show there are more important things at the moment... but I am undetermined.

What I did, however, was sending out this Tweet, and I guess I did this on behalf of everyone: https://identi.ca/notice/66819328

Florian

Hi,

Von: Florian Effenberger <floeff@documentfoundation.org>

two hearts are beating in my breast here -- on the one hand, sure, we
cannot do that much. On the other hand, it's a question of grace to
freeze our fundraising for a few days, to show there are more important
things at the moment... but I am undetermined.

I'd like to second Olivier Cleynen's mail - there will *always* be things
that are more important than TDF fundraising. No matter how important
we feel TDF is - it is only just a very little piece in what is
important for mankind at any given time. But - it actually is the
piece we decided to take care about.

So - really, my thoughts and wishes are with all the people in Japan,
I owe highest respect to all those people who are currently going
to Japan to help there - I hope, all these helping people will be
successfull and get the situation under control very soon and will be
able to save lives.

But these are my private thoughts - and as the person that I am I'd
encourage everyone to see if there is something she could do to help
to ease many of the problems (currently in Japan, but there are many
more problems).

Anyway - TDF should continue to take care about TDF's mission.

regards,

André

Hi all,

Thanks for your consideration.

Your words on the TDF lists are really encouraging.

Since I live in Ichinoseki next to Rikuzentakada and Ofunato, the
coast area devastated by the tsunami, I will do my best to help and
support people who are evacuated from the area.

We Japanese, from the bottom of our heart, appreciate your help and
supports form abroad.

If you take a look at some articles in my blog " http://openoffice.exblog.jp/ "
you will see the grave situation.

Thanks,
khirano

Hi :slight_smile:

I think the devastation is on such a massive scale it makes the twin towers
incident seem tiny, contained and inconsequential by comparison yet that had
repercussions globally. All disasters are, of course, horrendous but the scale
of this is unprecedented.

The Japanese people have given us some great technological advances and a higher
level of production and productivity than we would have had otherwise. I think
it is time the rest of the world took the opportunity to repay some of that
debt.

I don't think that switching our fund-raising from TDF to the Japanese people
would set a precedent for supporting any and every relatively minor disaster
from now on. At least i hope we never see anything of this scale again.

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Thanks khirano for your reconstruction efforts and your frequent updates
from Japan.

For those who haven't followed, khirano asked the OpenOffice.org
community (for the broadest possible meaning of this term, I'd say) for
help; donations are being collected using the existing channels, see
http://openoffice.org/projects/qa/lists/dev/archive/2011-03/message/39
and the first donations have already been sent him.

Regards,
  Andrea.

Hello,

Thanks khirano for your reconstruction efforts and your frequent updates
from Japan.

For those who haven't followed, khirano asked the OpenOffice.org
community (for the broadest possible meaning of this term, I'd say) for
help; donations are being collected using the existing channels, see
http://openoffice.org/projects/qa/lists/dev/archive/2011-03/message/39
and the first donations have already been sent him.

we had a hard time thinking of what is right - but we received lots of feedback from Japan, also from people who were directly affected, and most of them told us that TDF should follow its mission.

What I will do today, is to privately tweet some information from friends in Japan, to raise awareness and make people donate.

Florian