Yes, that was exactly what i was talking about.

In your example if we then changed the style called "default" from Liberation to Arial then the
change would cascade through "text-body" and any other styles that were linked in that way.
Changing from 12pt to 11pt would also ripple through, cascade through.  Linked headings would now
be Arial and slightly smaller, perhaps dropping from 16pt to 14pt or from 48pt to 36pt or something
like that.  I think.  it might be just that they keep the same font-size but might have only
changed from Liberation to Arial.

Many styles are linked by default. I think all the ones about numbered or un-numbered lists, and
stuff like that is all linked to the text-bod or default (or one through the other).  I just don't
know which ones are affected by which but so far haven't noticed anything unpleasant going on so
it's obviously been done in a way that i would want it done.

Occasionally (but very rarely) i've found some text in a wrong format with an apparently wrong
style applied in a wrong way.  Usually cut&paste but pasting as unformatted text (and then re-apply
the same style) has solved that.

So although i haven't really read that chapter of the guide i still find the little i have gleaned
from a quick glance at a small part of it has helped me hugely.  I really should read the rest!