=Recall in Lotus and Quattro Pro you could enter for text
fields a single quote, double quote or carat that would set
cell alignment to left/right/center.
Libreoffice doesn't seem to support that, and have to
manually set alignment.

Tried entering numbers directly in calc and got these
results.

A</span>B =a1+1
123<span style="display:inline-block; font-size:1pt; width:34.000000pt">0;124straight 123Right
aligned</font>
'123=
60;124single '123Left aligned
`123=
60;124apostrophy123Right aligned
\u201c123</span>#VALUE!Gives error in formula
^123#VALUE!

Does the web page have single quote or apostrophy or
UTF8 simple or something else?

Thanks

So, with a single quote or apostrophy it is treated as a
number but does change alignment?

On 8 Apr 2022 at 7:51, Steve Edmonds wrote:

Date sent:60;Fri, 8 Apr 2022 07:51:20 +1200
Subject: ;Re: [libreoffice-users] Clearing formatting.
To: 0;users@global.libreoffice.org
From: &#160;Steve Edmonds
<steve.edmonds@ptglobal.com>

The data is from part of a table on a public page but created in> response to entering a street
address.
There are no issues when I paste the data if I select "detect special
numbers" and there are no issues processing the numbers preceded with a
'  in a calculation.

I started wondering why LO doesn't see '123 as a format it can change or
is it an over riding format that LO won't change and when I have a
format like '123 how do I get it back to a number. If I type '123 into a
cell, Format>Cells.. tells me it is a number, I can use it in a formula
but can't sum it.

If you format a cell as text (right click or Format>Cells..) and type in
$123.00 you have some text as expected. If you delete the $ you have
123.00. If you now Format>Cells.. and select Number>General you would
expect this to become a number format, but LO inserts the ' so it
becomes '123.00 and changes the cell format to number but forcing the
contents to remain as text.

  From this point my question arose as to how to remove the ' so the
contents of the cell became a number, and which Brian solved for me.

Steve

On 07/04/2022 13:18, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:> > Note: That the "`" does work. In my testing I
must have
enter ' instead of ` and the is why the "`" didn't work
since it was char(39) instead of char(96)..> >
Just wondering if the data is from a public page or some
kind of private page?? I have a spreadsheet that uses the
external data link to a web site to get the latest covid
stats for the US states, D.C. and territories. Than have
macro that processes it into rest of sheet.> >
Would be interesting to see how the spreadsheet
processes in the ` with the number. When I type in a> > number with a ` at the front, it shows
that value as a text> > field and is left justified..

On 6 Apr 2022 at 10:58, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:</font>

From:         ="Michael D. Setzer II"
<msetzerii@gmail.com>
To:         &#160;Steve Edmonds
<steve.edmonds@ptglobal.com>,
          =users@global.libreoffice.org> > Date sent:Wed, 06 Apr 2022 10:58:56 +1000
Send reply to:msetzerii@gmail.com
Priority:normal

=On 6 Apr 2022 at 10:13, Steve Edmonds wrote:</font>

Date sent:60;Wed, 6 Apr 2022 10:13:51 +1200
To: 0;users@global.libreoffice.org> >> From: &#160;Steve Edmonds
<steve.edmonds@ptglobal.com>
Subject: ;[libreoffice-users] Clearing formatting.> >>

Hi, just wondering if there is an easy way to clear formatting of the
style '2892 where the apostrophe is used.
When I paste data from a web page LO inserts the apostrophe by default.
I realise there are options on pasting to have numbers pasted as text,
but my query is in regards converting '2892 to the number 2892.</span>

Not sure this would work.
Assuming you are using text formatting dialog option.
You could click on the other option in addition to
whatever filtering options you are using. Then put the</span>
apostrophe in the position after the other.
You will end up with a column with the blanks where the> >> apostrophy was. Would then just
delete that column.
That does assume that all numbers in column have> >> apostrophy and that other cells don't
have apostrophy's?
Another option that might work for you.> >> Past data as currently done.
In another column to right put formula> >> No leading &quot; an assuming D1 is cell with '2982
format
numbers. Tried to match with "`" but it didn't work?? Had
to use code and ascii value for `'
\u201c=IF(CODE(LEFT(D1,1))=39,VALUE(MID(D1,2,20)),d1)
If all numbers have ` you could just use.> >> No leading &quot;
\u201c=VALUE(MID(D1,2,20))

Then copy the formula going down.
Then highlight. Ctrl-C, and the Shift-Ctrl-V over original
data, rather than doing one cell at a time.

Perhaps one of those would work with your data.</font>
Good Luck. Have a nice day.

I cannot Format Cells... format as number or clear direct formatting or
find and replace the '. I can Ctl-x, Ctl-Shft-v and paste and the ' is
cleared.

Steve

Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
(Retired)
mailto:mikes@guam.net     0;                &#160;
mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
Guam - Where America's Day Begins   0;                &#160;
G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/> >>

   Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
(Retired)
   mailto:mikes@guam.net
   mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
   Guam - Where America's Day Begins> >   G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
(Retired)
mailto:mikes@guam.net                      &#160;
mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
Guam - Where America's Day Begins                    &#160;