I wanted to check on the "Access Violation" that Tony experienced to see it was an easily
reproducible situation for a Windows 8 installation of LibreOffice.

Before doing that, I installed LibreOffice 3.6.4 on a Windows XP SP3 system.  I then ran the
Windows 8 Upgrade advisor.  The upgrade advisor did not include LibreOffice in its report, neither
as compatible or incompatible.

However, there was a link to web resources for checking on applications not covered in Upgrade
Advisor reports.  After nosing around, I was led to here:
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win8/CompatCenter/ProductViewerWithDefaultFilters?TempOsid=win8&Locale=en-us&TextSearch=LibreOffice>

There is a Compatibility Center where reports about particular applications are crowd-sourced.
(Note that only major versions are identified.)

The dual listing for LibreOffice Version 3 is because TDF is identified as the "brand" in one
source, and "libreoffice" in another.  The same "Community Discussion" backs up both, though.

To see how this works, I "voted" on the TDF entry.  I was unable to specify version 3.6 (only 3.3
and 3.5 are listed), nor was I asked for details.

Interesting but not totally satisfying.

 - Dennis