Not exactly.

Inkscape imports PDFs and allows them to be ungrouped and edited.

In my case, I cut or export from Inkscape only the objects I need.
Then I rebuild the PDF format inside Writer.

It takes a while to become proficient at Inkscape, which I am not. I just use it to break apart PDFs to gain access to their parts.

I notice you have gmail. Have you tried importing PDF into Google Docs and then exporting as ODT?

This is also a method I have has some success with, but requires internet connection.

On 1/31/2014 11:43 AM, charles meyer wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

So, with Inkscape you can extract pages from a PDF and save those
pages as separate PDFs, is that correct?

When I import a PDF (image) into Writer it remains as a graphic image.
What do you mean by having that PDF image in natural?

The challenge I've faced with Writer which actually opens to Draw when
I import a PDF is that there are large blank spaces (margins?) around
the PDF image and therefore take up a lot of space unnecessarily
thereby  creating a large file.

I'd like to be able to remove most of the blank space surrounding the
PDF image once the image is imported into Writer, then Draw.

Is there an easy way to do that?

Thanks so much,

Charles.

Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Writer - Merging PDFs
From: "Paul D. Mirowsky" <p_mirowsky@bentaxna.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:05:36 -0500
To: users@global.libreoffice.org

I've used Inkscape to break up PDFs.
However, I prefer to have everything in Writer natural rather than as an image.
It's a mix of deleting oversized areas (objects), cut and paste (text)
and export.

Hope it helps