March 2013 profits & losses

Dear members, TDF supporters,

please find attached our March 2013 profits & losses report, and,
separately, the budget summary as of 2013-03-31 for the Berlin
entity. The budget summary represents the *remaining* funds from our
2013 budget, see here for the detailed spreadsheet:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Tdfbudget2013.pdf

(note that the discuss list strips attachments - please refer to the
board-discuss archives for those, if you are not subscribed there)

Many thanks for your ongoing support, with kind regards,

tdf-2013-03-budgets.html (6.63 KB)

tdf-2013-03-summary.html (16 KB)

Hi Thorsten,

First off, thanks for doing this. It is much appreciated and the reports are quite well done.

A few questions if you would not mind:

Profit and Loss Report

In the Revenues section

Are we getting any monthly interest income coming from our contingency plan money that was set aside? If so, should this not also be reflected in the monthly revenues or is any profit reported on the annual report? Are we getting any interest profit at all?

In the Expenses section

Some explanations if you could re:

Office supplies ... why are there no office supplies costs? Have we not made use of paper/pencils/pens/staples ...?

Telephone costs ... how are these incurred? Do we have a telephone account with a company or are these cost submissions from members?

Tax consultation fees ... Is this a one time cost or is this a monthly costs that will appear each month?

Payroll provider ... Is this to manage the one salaried employee? Or is the payroll provider also providing other services to the TDF?

Bank surcharchages ... are there no monthly bank charges? If not, is this due to the amount kept in our accounts?

Insurance costs ... are there no monthly insurance costs (for example on our infrastructure/servers, hardware etc. or are these paid in one sum at the start of the insurance terms?

In the Budget Summary 2013-03-31

Is there a location on our pages where we can see a complete breakdown of the budget items on the report? If we are publishing these as budget items, then we should also be publishing a page location with a complete breakdown of all of the stated costs for the membership to see. If we do have such pages, I would suggest that the location be reported on the Budget summary for the purposes of clarity and oversight.

Cheers,

Marc

[limiting to board-discuss for being rather specific]

Marc Paré wrote:

Are we getting any monthly interest income coming from our
contingency plan money that was set aside? If so, should this not
also be reflected in the monthly revenues or is any profit reported
on the annual report? Are we getting any interest profit at all?

We're getting interest payments at least for the capital stock, but
reporting for that happens only on a quarterly basis.

Office supplies ... why are there no office supplies costs? Have we
not made use of paper/pencils/pens/staples ...?

Yes, but noone charged TDF for it. :wink:

Telephone costs ... how are these incurred? Do we have a telephone
account with a company or are these cost submissions from members?

We have SIP phone lines for Berlin, see our legal info at
http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint - this is unfortunately
mandatory. A few board members and Admins are connected to that
account, and use it sometimes for outgoing calls on TDF business.

Tax consultation fees ... Is this a one time cost or is this a
monthly costs that will appear each month?

It is on a as-needed basis - the sum you notice for March was for the
annual report.

Payroll provider ... Is this to manage the one salaried employee? Or
is the payroll provider also providing other services to the TDF?

The former.

Bank surcharchages ... are there no monthly bank charges? If not, is
this due to the amount kept in our accounts?

This is again an idiosyncracy of the German reporting - that dedicated
account for bank surcharges is for costs incurred for capital
management. Normal bank account costs for the charitable part of TDF
are subsumed under account 2900.

Insurance costs ... are there no monthly insurance costs (for
example on our infrastructure/servers, hardware etc. or are these
paid in one sum at the start of the insurance terms?

Those are annual payments, yes.

Is there a location on our pages where we can see a complete
breakdown of the budget items on the report? If we are publishing
these as budget items, then we should also be publishing a page
location with a complete breakdown of all of the stated costs for
the membership to see. If we do have such pages, I would suggest
that the location be reported on the Budget summary for the purposes
of clarity and oversight.

Not sure I get your request right - you are asking for itemized,
transaction-by-transaction reports for the budgets?

Or a decision wiki page or somesuch, where budget decisions are
collected?

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for the answers.

>Is there a location on our pages where we can see a complete
>breakdown of the budget items on the report? If we are publishing
>these as budget items, then we should also be publishing a page
>location with a complete breakdown of all of the stated costs for
>the membership to see. If we do have such pages, I would suggest
>that the location be reported on the Budget summary for the purposes
>of clarity and oversight.

Not sure I get your request right - you are asking for itemized,
transaction-by-transaction reports for the budgets?

Or a decision wiki page or somesuch, where budget decisions are
collected?

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Yes to both, we should have a wiki with the submitted budgetary requests with decisions for the amounts. This is for clarity and transparency.

This would enable new team members to view budget requests from other teams and perhaps foster more participation. Some teams need to see working examples of acceptable and awarded budgets.

We need to mentor indirectly our different sections so that we get better effective submissions. I imagine the BoD would have these items handy as the sums were awarded and there should still be a degree of oversight on the spending.

Cheers,

Marc

Marc Paré wrote:

Yes to both, we should have a wiki with the submitted budgetary
requests with decisions for the amounts. This is for clarity and
transparency.

Hi Marc,

wiki page developing as we speak here:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/BoD_Budget