One problem with using a spreadsheet or database is that it is difficult to set-up an "audit trail"
and even if you do then it's unlikely to be trusted by anyone else that might need to see your
accounts.  That is the advantage with using proper software developed for the purpose or for using
pen&ink (ie so you can't rub-out entries without it being noticeable) to keep proper records.

If you don't have an accountant or auditor or present the accounts to anyone else then of course a
database might be a LOT better than a spreadsheet, if you are at all familiar with database
programs.