No, i had already posted an answer to this thread.  Then i read another post which made me think of
something else and then a little while later i thought of another thing.  So i made a real mess of
posting too many times.

I have my cache set at 20Mb but i have also raised the "Memory per object" higher than any of the
pictures or graphics in my documents.  I sometimes use Gimp to reduce the byte-wise size without
losing too much quality.  Often photos from a camera are such a high resolution that they would
look good on a roadside bill-board.  Scaling them down to about twice the size they are going to be
in the document means they still look good
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Lite_Quickies/
http://kerryshamblin.com/index.php?page=tutorial-web-images-gimp
http://www.ahotw.com/2008/08/09/gimp-image-cropping-for-web/
This link does a lot more than i normally have time to
http://www.geekazine.com/guests/basic-gimp-preparing-pictures-for-the-web
I only usually get photos down to a couple of hundred kilobytes but logos and stuff are usually
fairly easy to get down to maybe 20Kb.

Images occasionally vanish from documents so it's a good idea to keep a back-up of them outside the
document.  If you save in Odt format then you can find all the images by opening the document as an
archive.  (Create a copy of the file.  Rename the file-ending from .odt to .zip and then
double-click on the file's icon).  So it's easy to get a folder full of the images you use before
they run into trouble.

It's not clear what operating system you are using.  Xp or a Gnu&Linux such as Ubuntu?