Thanks Tom.  A more specific link was provided to me privately:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Writer_Guide .

That document helped point me in the right direction, but some additional work was required, as outlined further below. The document states:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To set a custom template as the default:
1) From the Menu bar, choose File > New > Templates to open the Template Manager
dialog.
2) In the Template Manager dialog, open the folder containing the template that you want to
set as the default, then select the template.
3) Click the Set As Default icon above the list of templates (see Figure 6)

I was unable to proceed with step 2, because even though I received no error message about it - my HTML template had never been saved. I have no idea why "Save as template" didn't work (bug), but in order to actually save the template I had to use "Save As", and then select "HTML template" from the drop down menu in the file dialog (and browse to the templates folder). A subtle difference, but one that made all the difference.

Once I was able to save my template, I was able to proceed with the above instructions.

Thank you to you and the gentleman that replied privately, who I presume wants to remain anonymous.

On 8/1/2013 4:02 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
The published official guides are much better
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

The in-built help (at least the English version of it) is not always completely up to date or accurate. The international translators team work at it before translating it and i don't think their version is the one we get. There is something mighty odd going on there which i've never understood