The docs team is working on translating a Base handbook from German.  It's seems to be approaching
Base from a different angle from the guide Dan is working on.  If you would like to try translating
from German to English that would hugely help in at least getting something out there, or 'just'
proofreading would help!

I think that in the longer-term the 2 guides will complement each other quite nicely.  One of the
problems with writing a guide to Base is there are so many different directions and approaches to
take.  People sometimes join the team and get all keen about writing a guide but doing so by
starting from scratch and doing things completely differently instead of just helping with the
current plan.  So, hopefully the handbook will satisfy most of those people and will hopefully show
that Dan's way is also worth completing.

A few of us have asked TDF's BoD for a bit of help and they say TDF has higher priorities and is
unwilling to even give Base it's own mailing list.  TDF has over 100 mailing lists already and the
BoD say an extra 1 would be too much extra work.  A dedicated Base list would probably be very
low-traffic but would allow the various isolated individuals (that are currently scattered across
various lists) to work together more easily and co-ordinate efforts.

I think most people that are serious about Base use the OpenOffice forums and mailing-lists that
are dedicated to Base and now that OO has a more secure longer-term and is more willing to work
with TDF rather than against us it seems the best option to save duplication of effort.

When Dan (the star) completed his Chapter 1 and posted it onto the wiki
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
there was a sudden resurgence of activity.  One or 2 people worked on translating the French FAQ
into English and completed the whole of the Base section before work petered out.  (mostly Alex
(who had probably written the original French Faq!))
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq

So, there is a fair bit to be positive about.  The German handbook was only found a couple of weeks
ago and already has a chapter or 2 translated with more on the way.  Proof-reading would help!
Fully translating an entire chapter is quite hard work but just proof-reading someone else's
translation might help.  Screenshots are also often done separately and there is probably a guide
on how the doc's team likes them done.