Sorry about the last answer!  I'm forwarding this question to the
Documentation Team as they might have a better and quicker answer than
the Users List.

I also don't have a good answer so i've tried to gather a few thoughts.
The Writer Guide,  Chapter 13 "Working with Master Documents", might be
more helpful
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Writer_Guide

I suspect that when you open the master document it still asks if you
want to update links?  Even if not then it might be worth doing a
deliberate and easily spotted edit to one of the documents and then reopen the master to see if the
edit
appears.

I think there are at least 2 ways of inserting documents into a master
document.  Is it DDE-links that operate the way required?  The other way would be to insert as a
section (i think) and it's possible that is
what happened this time.  I'm not sure how to recover from that.  It
might be best to do a new master but it might be possible to edit the
xml file that is inside the Odt or DocX. The first time often takes ages but 2nd time is really
fast because there are tons of decisions and
trivial issues that you had to wasde through and research first time but 2nd time around you
already know what you are aiming for.
Could you let us know which format the master document is saved in?  If
you are using Windows then it probably hides the file-ending but if you
hover the mouse over the documents icon then information about the file
should pop-up in a yellow box.  Can you see if it's Odt, Od(?), DocX or
something else?

Forwarding a post back to the list or starting a new fresh email are good ways to start a new
thread.  Either way you need to copy&paste or re-type the Users List address into the "To" field.

On this list we should really be prepared to deal with cases where people
are unfamiliar with mailing-lists and help them become familiar with
things such as bottom-posting and other nuances that they may have never experienced in any other
communication until now.  That is, if
LibreOffice is to be a gateway project welcoming people into OpenSource
rather than remaining a tiny niche product almost unknown and unheard of out in real offices around
the world.  Just my opinion of course :)

Good luck and regards fromTom :)