You can always unsubscribe and then subscribe to the "nomail" option and then just use Nabble or
GMane to subscribe to single threads.

I tried the nomail option without unsubscribing from the list but i still get all the mails which
is what the instrauctions say will happen.  I need to unsubscribe from the normal option to
complete the set-up.