Hi Folks

To follow on Tom's flash drive apps, I use a collection of apps that has a self installer and updater for flash drives, called PortableApps http://portableapps.com/. Depending on what you want out of the collection of apps, it will install automatically onto a flash drive for you, from anything the size of around 2GB up to 16GB (full apps is 9GB). And they cover LibreOffice, along with other suites.

I carry my stick with me everywhere, as long as I have access to a PC, I cam do everything without leaving any trail or file behind on the PC I use. A 16GB stick gives enough space to carry personal or work related docs too. You can even surf the web with nothing left on the host PC.

Hope this helps

Regards

Andrew Brown

On 03/08/2013 09:49 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
It's often best to keep documents in ODF formats, in this case Odp, and just edit that version.

Just use the MS formats when you need to share with other people or when you need to use them on a
machine where you might not have access to LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Google-docs, NeoOffice,
KOffice, Caligra, IBM Lotus Symphony, GNome Office, MS Office 2013 or any of the other office
programs that can read/write ODF formats.

Note that you could carry LibreOffice (and many other programs) around with you on a Usb-stick so
that you can use them on any Windows machine without having to actually install them there
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable/
there are other companies offering a similar service and a similar range of software.  1 is even
faster at getting the newer versions of LibreOffice then the people listed on the official
LibreOffice page.

From: Jeffrey Deutsch <jdeutsch.asplint@gmail.com>
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 23:49:03 -0400

Hello,

My wife is willing to consider converting to LibreOffice 4
permanently. Here's her major issue, in two parts:

(1) She does not know how to start or use Notes in LibO Impress (the
presentation part).

It's not clear to me what you mean by "how to start or use Notes".
You will find it helpful to read the "Getting Started" and "User"
guides, available from:
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/
Specific information about Notes can be found in chapter 8 of the
Impress User Guide:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/impress-guide/published-lo-4.0/ig4-0-ch8-adding-and-formatting-slides-notes-and-handouts/view

(2) When she starts (and saves) Notes in PowerPoint, and then works on
the presentation in LibO -- even if she does not touch the Notes while
in LibO -- when she re-opens the presentation in PowerPoint the Notes
are all fouled up every which way.

When she uses LibO, it's version 4.0, on Windows 7 Home Premium, and
she saves the file as PowerPoint 2007/2010 (.pptx). And she uses
PowerPoint 2010, also on Windows (she thinks Windows 7 for Government
but is not certain).

Unfortunately, MS XML file formats are something of a moving target.
Although there have been many improvements in LO/MS XML compatibility
there is still work to be done.

As previously suggested to you by Clarence M Weaver, try using the older
".ppt" format to move presentations between Powerpoint and Impress.
Clarence & I have both tested this and it appears to be a reliable
work-around.

What does she need to do?

Thank you very much!

Jeff Deutsch