----- Original Message ----

From: todd rme <toddrme2178@gmail.com>
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 9:28 AM, BRM <bm_witness@yahoo.com>  wrote:
From: Cor  Nouws <oolst@nouenoff.nl>
To: discuss@documentfoundation.org
 > Sent: Fri, October 29, 2010 2:22:03 AM
Subject: Re:  [tdf-discuss] Copyright Assignments & the Document
BRM wrote  (29-10-10 00:41)
BRM wrote:
The  Linux Kernel guys don't require it;  KDE E.v. does. Both
methods
have
their pros and   cons.

Hi, just a very small   correction here - KDE  e.V. does not require
it, it  is optional to sign their  FLA (a  trait shared among other
 > >> FLOSS projects, e.g. the Python  Foundation  acts  similarly).

Thank you for the  correction.  I thought they did from what I had read
 >while
back.
Yet  another method to  accomplish the same goal.

What would be the use  of  people giving the option to share a CA or not.
Just
 >the fact that, in case for  e.g. a licence update, you only have  to
contact x%
of the  contributors?

It  certainly reduces the burden. Otherwise you have to contact 100% of
 contributors, not all of which may be easy to find if at all.

I  don't mean to be morbid, but they may not even be alive.

Which when we discover, may be good to offer the estate - the ability to
hand-off copyright assignment so that:

i) the estate can completely close out
ii) the estate won't have to worry about being questioned about it in the future
iii) the estate may not be aware of it to start with and may get closed out
without anything happening; in which case local law determines what happens (yet
another headache)
Iv) the estate or successor-in-interest may not understand the question

IANAL,

$0.02

Ben

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***