Hello Tom,

I think Jay is asking good questions, that can be answered very simply but
are more of a perception matter than anything else. I would invite him to
the marketing list, btw. I believe you are missing his point in your own
comments so let me just comment on his email, as it is the kind of feedback
the people who have been involved in OpenOffice.org and then LibreOffice
have heard for years. It's basically about the fear of change. It's not
that irrational, as such a change can be experienced as a problem in any
organization, and it may cost the CIO a lot. Sometimes its career. Yet, the
"roll out costs" need to be very accurately defined, because a constant
pattern in the migration is the one that basically flags all the
difficulties over to the office suite you are migrating TO but never the
solution you're migrating from (this can be said from any IT migration or
so, by the way). A good example is the VBA macros. VBA macros have been
entirely developed by MSFT for MS Office. It's a major trap, and at the
risk of hurting a few people, it has more often than not been the tool of
the employee (from the clerk to the exec) who had no skill in software
programming but wanted to cook its own little recipe. That recipe however,
can only work within a pure MS Office environment, and make no mistake,
MSFT intends to keep it that way. So when there's a migration away from MS
Office, guess what happens very often: people complain that macros do not
work or have been suppressed by, say, LibreOffice. But no one seems to put
the blame on MSOffice, nor even on the team who made the decision to
sometimes insert macros deep down their crucial documents and information
systems. So they input the macros issue and the document rewrites to the
migration away from MS Office, but instead they ought to input that as
"exit costs" from MS Office and input them in their acquisition costs of
MSOffice in the first place. It sounds like theory, but it's a matter of
perception. Acquiring MSOffice just because "everybody else does" is not
rational. But acquiring MSOffice licenses and calculating the whole TCO
including the exit costs makes sense. Not everyone does that.

I'd love to have Jay discuss these things here, if possible. BTW: you miss
the point on the LTS version and we already discussed that times and times
over, it will not help people like Jay, whether we release three versions
per week or one per year (btw: we used to sometimes release one version
every 9 months at OpenOffice.org, and we had exactly the same issue.
They're not related).

Best,
Charles.

2012/8/8 Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk>

Hi :)
Is LO really free?

Roll-out costs.
One advantage of LTS (=Long Term Support) or the slow plodding pace of MS
(with many years between releases) is that roll-out costs and the time
involved is only incurred every few years, rather than every month or so.
Are there ever likely to be any plans to address this?

Perceptions and re-training
People still seem to think that LO is going to be difficult for people to
learn how to use despite it's similarity to MS Office 2003 menus.  Somehow
people/managers still seem to think that upgrading from one version of MSO
to another or from Xp to Win7 or Win8 is going to be trivially easy.  After
all it's all still MS right?  and MS is easy right?  (Wrong on both counts
but that often still seems to be the perception).

The marketing teams and individuals such as the chap in Greece are doing a
great job of changing people's perceptions but it's a constant "up hill"
struggle.  The more we can get LO out there and being seen and talked about
the more the perception can be turned around.  Firefox managed it but
awareness about LO seems to have grown faster, perhaps partly due to being
able to point to FF as a similar project but mostly just because of the
hard work put in by people here.

I keep hearing that  the biggest blockers are to do with stability and
roll-out costs, and lack of an LTS but we have no control over those
things.

We hear stories of this&that organisation that has realised about
potential savings on licensing fees which is great but we are setting-up a
scenario when in a couple of years those same organisations switch back to
MSO, due to the blockers, and become highly vocal about it.