Luuk, thanks for getting back so fast.

Works ok in Opera ( but then I have no idea what the settings are there )...

With IE 8 ;

StartCom is in my trusted root certification authorities list.

I should have said : the specific error is "The security certificate presented by this website was
issued for a different website's address."

Having gone on to the page anyway and looked at the cert details it appears to be for
http://www.documentfoundation.org/ whereas the page is help.libreoffice.org - could this be the
issue ?

I then checked via http://www.digicert.com/help/ ssl certificate checker and it shows common name
LibreOffice.org all ok etc.

So I suppose it could be IE 8 not knowing what to do with this particular type of cert - I'm going
to switch to FireFox soon and have local LO help working now  so not gettiing into fixing it.

Suggestions ;
1.
For some users with old stuff like me - XP / IE 8 etc - who are the most likely to be looking for
alternatives to MS Office - this will be off-putting ( it will scare some people ) - and
LibreOffice will lose some potential converts.
On the help pages, if the browser accessing is one of the ones that can't interpret the certificate
it might be an idea to redirect to a message indicating they need to upgrade rather than leaving
them to a security warning - probably not much code for your web guys to implement ( IE 8 not the
only bowser with this problem apparently ) .
2.
Some install notes on the help pack - I installed it but it doesn't show up unless you change a
setting in language settings - I found this with a web search but it would be better if it was in
release notes or something near the download.

One last thing - I'm curious as to why help is over https and not just http ? (
https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Welcome_to_the_Writer_Help )

Bob.