Here's the tip that I provided over on ooo-users.  My system is busy right now so I can't check to
see how well it works with AOO 3.4.0 also:

You can try to add AOO associations manually, but it might not be effective.

The problem is that LibreOffice, OpenOffice.org, and Apache OpenOffice all use the same (old Star
Office) names for the individual application programs.  Even if you succeed in having multiple
swriter.exe associations, for example, you may have trouble telling them apart [;<).

I think you already know how to do this, by using the Open With ... context-menu and take the
"Choose Default Program" option.  You'll have to find the installed files and select them.  Perhaps
even make it the default at first, although you can select the program and remove the check mark on
"Always use the selected program ... ".

Thereafter, they should all be offered in the Open With ... without having to be added.  But I
suspect this is where you might be frustrated.  (This is how I add WinZip to all of the ODF and
OOXML extension names so I can simplify document-forensic work.)

 - Dennis

PS: I just got this working for .odds on a Vista configuration that has OpenOffice 3.3.0, Symphony
3.0.1, and LibreOffice 3.4.3 installed.

PPS: Installing Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 seems to steal the default file associations, no matter who
has them.  Because of that I tend not to keep it around on any configurations where I want to use
other ODF-supporting programs.  (When uninstalled, AOO 3.4.0 leaves no associations behind.)  I
haven't tried the above procedure to get the other associations back.  That's out of pique.  Let me
know if it works for you.